It’s cupcake time! Yay! Finally! It’s been a while since you got some cupcakes from me… that’s why I made some really really nice ones this time. To somehow compensate for the long waiting time ;) So today I got some delicious Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes with a (Ritter Sport) Sesame Chocolate Ganache Filling and Tahini Buttercream Topping. Awesome combination! I am pretty sure you will love it as much as I love it! If you make these fellas, of course! ;)
I use sesame or respectively tahini quite often when cooking. Homemade hummus is something we do quite often and toasted sesame seeds end up on many Asian (and non-asian) dishes because we like the taste a lot… but in combination with chocolate, it’s quite new for us. But it works really well I have do admit! Ritter Sport thinks the same it seems because they just released a bar of new vegan chocolate with sesame seeds*… which is by the way in these cupcakes and the inspiration for this all. Some of you might know already that I am using Ritter Sport chocolate quite often in my bakes, always trying the new flavors on the market to find out if they are good or not. This flourless chocolate cake, for example, was made with a really nice 61% & 55% cocoa chocolate and really nice – you should try that one too ;)
Anyway. It’s about chocolate and sesame today and as I mentioned already – a winning combination! Initially, I wanted to make some banana bread because I know already that sesame, chocolate, and banana go well together too, but then I changed my mind and made these cupcakes because I wanted to try making tahini buttercream for quite a while now… and what can I say – very good decision! ;)
Normally I am not patting myself on the back, but these little fellas here turned out really nice! The cupcake base is very chocolaty and fluffy, the filling with the Ritter Sport Vegan Sesame* chocolate is smooth, delicious and not too sweet and the tahini buttercream topping absolutely divine! Smooth, silky and also not too sweet. Just wow! Whoever refuses to try these cupcakes because he heard “tahini buttercream” and is a bit worried… you are absolutely wrong! Only if you have a sesame allergy you can say no to these cupcakes. You will miss out on something great if you do not try the buttercream, but we don’t want you to blow up like a balloon… so that would be really the only exception ;)
So – if you are into sesame or interested in the flavor combination, you should definitely give these cupcakes a chance. If you are not into that much sesame at once, you can only use the sesame chocolate ganache and replace the tahini buttercream with vanilla or chocolate buttercream. If you never tried chocolate with sesame, you can also go for the Ritter Sport chocolate first and try that one to get a feeling for the flavors ;)
If you want to know more about the chocolate from Ritter Sport, you can get information on the Ritter Sport website* – besides the new vegan sesame chocolate, there are other vegan chocolate flavors you can try too. Like all other chocolate bars, these vegan ones are made with certified sustainable cocoa – Ritter Sport is the first one of the big chocolate manufacturers that use only that kind of cocoa.
INGREDIENTS / ZUTATEN
For the vegan chocolate filling:
3.5 oz. (100g) Ritter Sport Vegan Sesame
3.5 oz. (100g) coconut milk (full fat)
For the vegan cupcakes:
1 1/4 cups (160g) all-purpose flour
6 oz. (170g) sugar
1/3 cup (40g) cocoa powder
1 tsp. instant espresso powder
3/4 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1 cup (240ml) almond milk
1/2 cup (120ml) sunflower oil
1 1/2 tsp. apple cider vinegar
1.7 oz. (50g) Ritter Sport Vegan Sesame, chopped
For the vegan tahini buttercream:
1 cup (230g) plant-based margarine
3.5 oz. (100g) tahini (sesame paste)
2 cups (250g) confectioners’ sugar
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/4 tsp. salt
For the decoration:
Ritter Sport Vegan Sesame (optional)
toasted sesame seeds (optional)
Für die vegane Schoko Ganache:
100g Ritter Sport Vegan Sesam
100g Kokosmilch (Vollfett)
Für die veganen Cupcakes:
160g Mehl (Type 550)
1 TL Instant Espresso Pulver
3/4 TL Natron
1/2 TL Backpulver
1/4 TL Salz
1 1/2 TL Apfelessig
50g Ritter Sport Vegan Sesam, gehackt
Für die vegane Tahini Buttercreme:
230g pflanzliche Margarine
100g Tahini (Sesampaste)
1/2 TL Vanille Extrakt
1/4 TL Salz
Für die Dekoration:
Ritter Sport Vegan Sesam (optional)
gerösteter Sesam (optional)
DIRECTIONS / ZUBEREITUNG
2. Add the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, espresso powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt to a large bowl and mix until well combined. In a second bowl mix the almond milk with oil and vinegar and let sit for 2-3 minutes, then add to the bowl with the dry ingredients and mix until just combined – do not overmix! Add the chopped chocolate and fold in. Fill the batter into the paper liners (about 3/4 full) and bake for 28-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cupcakes comes out clean. Take out of the oven and let cool down completely on a wire rack.
3. While the cupcakes are cooling prepare the buttercream by adding the plant-based margarine into a large bowl and mix on high speed until creamy and a bit paler. Add the tahini and mix for about 2-3 minutes until well combined. Add the confectioners’ sugar, vanilla extract, and salt and start mixing slowly, then on high speed for about 5-6 minutes until you get a nice and fluffy (vegan) buttercream. Fill into a piping bag with a star tip and set aside.
4. To finish the cupcakes cut a hole into each cupcake with a sharp knife or cupcake corer, fill with the sesame chocolate ganache and top with a nice swirl of the vegan buttercream. Decorate with some chocolate and sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds if you like (optional).
2. Das Mehl mit Zucker, Kakao, Espresso Pulver, Natron, Backpulver und Salz in eine große Schüssel geben und gut verrühren. In einer zweiten Schüssel den Mandeldrink mit Öl und Apfelessig verrühren und 2-3 Minuten stehen lassen, dann zur Schüssel mit den trockenen Zutaten dazugeben nur kurz verrühren – nicht zu viel mixen! Die gehackte Schokolade dazugeben und unterheben. Den Teig auf die Förmchen verteilen (jeweils etwa 3/4 voll) und dann für 28-30 Minuten backen. Mit einem Zahnstocher testen, ob noch Teig kleben bleibt und die Cupcakes erst herausholen, wenn kein Teig mehr kleben bleibt. Die fertigen Cupcakes auf einem Kuchengitter komplett abkühlen lassen.
3. Während die Cupcakes abkühlen, die Buttercreme vorbereiten und dafür die Margarine in eine große Schüssel geben und luftig aufschlagen. Die Sesampaste dazugeben und für 2-3 Minuten auf höchster Stufe aufschlagen, bis sich alles gut verbunden hat. Puderzucker, Vanille Extrakt und Salz dazugeben und erst langsam, dann wieder auf höchster Stufe für etwa 5-6 Minuten aufschlagen, bis die Masse cremig und luftig ist. In einen Spritzbeutel mit Sterntülle füllen und zur Seite legen.
4. Die Cupcakes in der Mitte aushöhlen – geht mit einem scharfen Messer oder Cupcake Corer. Die weiche Sesam Schoko Ganache einfüllen und dann mit einer guten Portion der veganen Buttercreme dekorieren. Wer mag kann noch etwas Schokolade und getoasteten Sesam darauf verteilen (optional).
Craving more? Keep in touch on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest for new post updates and more. You can also contact me with any questions or inquiries!
Here is a version of the recipe you can print easily.
Vegan Chocolate Tahini Cupcakes
- Prep Time: 20m
- Cook Time: 30m
- Total Time: 2h
- Yield: 10
- Category: Cupcakes
- Cuisine: German
Super delicious vegan chocolate cupcakes with a chocolate sesame ganache filling and a tahini buttercream topping. To. Die. For. Literally ;)
Keywords: tahini, chocolate, Ritter Sport, sesame, vegan, buttercream, ganache, cupcakes
*I have partnered with Ritter Sport to bring you this delicious cupcakes. That’s why I have to declare this here in Germany as Advertising. All I wrote in this article is still based on my own opinion and has not been affected by anybody :)