Vegan cupcakes – something you definitely should try. Before I made my first batch of vegan cupcakes I was skeptical about how they would come out, how they would taste and if they can compete with ‚real‘ cupcakes – believe me they can ;)
Recipes for vegan baking are as easy as non-vegan recipes – finding the right ingredients is sometimes bit tricky though, but if you have a organic grocery store around the corner, you probably will get everything you need in one place.
These mini vegan cupcakes are easy to make and maybe something you would do with your kids – except for the basic dough and the basic frosting everything else is up to you. You can flavor, color and decorate these cupcakes in any way you want – it’s called FREESTYLE.
INGREDIENTS / ZUTATEN
Für die Cupcakes:
240ml Mandelmilch (vegan)
1 EL Apfelessig
150g Mehl (Type 405)
2 EL Speisestärke
3/4 TL Backpulver
1/2 TL Natron
1/3 TL Salz
2 TL Vanille Extrakt
Für die Buttercreme:
120g weiche Pflanzenmargarine
1 EL Vanille Extrakt
Für die Dekoration:
Was immer in der Küche zu finden ist ;;)
For the cupcakes:
1 cup (240ml) almond milk
1 tsp. apple cider vinegar
1¼ cup (150g) all-purpose flour
2 tbsp. cornstarch
¾ tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. baking soda
1/3 tsp. salt
1/3 cup (80ml) canola oil
2/3 cup (150g) sugar
2 tsp. vanilla extract
For the buttercream:
1/2 cup (120g) dairy-free margarine, softened
2 cups (240g) confectioner’s sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
For the decoration:
whatever you can find in the kitchen ;)
If you have the basic cupcake mix, you can start adding the ingredients you like for your cupcakes. I did that by taking a small bowl and adding 2 tablespoons from the base mix and then adding for example some walnuts, poppy sees, lemon cest, chocolate sprinkles etc.
There are no precise amounts I could tell you – just go with „the flow“ and add whatever you want and how much you want – but less is more as I learned ;) Use whatever you can find in your kitchen cabinets….
Here are some ingredients/combinations that worked fine for me (examples from the picture)…
unsweetened cocoa powder and sliced almonds
sliced almonds and some drops almond flavor or amaretto liquor
unsweetened cocoa powder and a fresh raspberry
plain cupcake mix or add some vanilla bean seeds
unsweetened cocoa powder and pieces of semi-sweet chocolate
unsweetened cocoa powder and instant espresso powder
grated carrots and a pinch of ground ginger and cinnamon
scoop of peanutbutter
poppy seeds and lemon cest
Note: Start with the combinations without cocoa powder – that way you can add for the first combinations your desired ingredients and in the second round you can add the cocoa powder to the remaining dough and don’t have to mix it in every time again.
DIRECTIONS / ZUBEREITUNG
2. In einer großen Schüssel das Mehl, Stärke, Backpulver, Natron, Zucker und Salz vermischen. Öl, Vanille Extrakt und die etwas geronnene Mandelmilch dazuschütten und alles zu einem glatten Teig verrühren. Damit hat man die Basis für die Cupcakes und kann weitere Zutaten zufügen.
3. Cupcakeförmchen zu 2/3 füllen und für 11-12 Minuten backen. Auf einem Kuchengitter komplett auskühlen lassen vor dem Verzieren.
4. Für die Buttercreme die Margarine in einer großen Schüssel luftig aufschlagen. Vanille Extrakt und Puderzucker zugeben und auf höchster STufe für 4-5 Minuten aufschlagen.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, sugar and salt. Add the oil, vanilla extract and the almond milk and mix until well combined. Now you have the base for your cupcakes and can mix in your add-ins.
3. Fill cupcake liners two-thirds of the way and bake for 11-12 minutes. Transfer to a cooling rack, and let cool completely before frosting.
4. For the buttercream add the margarine to a large bowl and mix until light and fluffy. Add the vanilla extract and the confectioner’s sugar and mix on high speed for another 4-5 minutes.
Same procedure for the topping – with the vanilla base you have everything to start with and then you just add, whatever you want.
Flavors like almond, orange or lemon (1-2 drops are normally enough)
Spices like cinnamon or ginger
Fruits or similar like diced strawberries or coconut flakes, ground or sliced almonds…
Marmalade (strawberry, cherry, orange) or peanut butter, cookie butter…
Cocoa powder or nutella to give it a nice chocolate flavor
For topping/sprinkling you could use diced fruits, nuts, cocos flakes, chocolate, cinnamon… almost endless combinations possible :)
Do/use whatever you want – do it FREESTYLE!