Happy Cookie Friday!
It’s the time of the week again… have you asked yourself what kind of cookies this week will come up? ;) Last week I made delicious cookies with white chocolate and Amarena cherries. So good. This time it’s a slightly larger cookie. Or let’s say a large cookie cut into slices… like a pizza. A cookie pizza maybe? Nope. No pizza, but nice shortbread cookies with grapefruit and red pepper :)
I really like to experiment with ingredients and shapes for Cookie Friday. This time the cookie got a bit bigger again. Don’t worry, you don’t have to eat that one cookie at once, cut into slices and you can munch for days :P
Shortbread cookies are pretty much some of the easiest cookies you can make. Mix all in one bowl, a bit of cooling and then you’re almost done. Normally you would make a roll out of the dough and cut slices – here you just press the dough into the springform, cool it and then bake it. After baking the large cookie gets sliced and decorated – that’s all. Very easy.
In case you are not a fan of grapefruit like me, you can easily replace it with lemon, lime or orange – no problem. They will all turn out great I think :)
INGREDIENTS / ZUTATEN
For the shortbread:
1/2 cup (120g) butter, at room temperature
1/3 cup (45g) confectioners’ sugar
1 tbsp. grapefruit zest
1 tsp. vanilla paste
1 cup (130g) all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. salt
For the glaze:
3.5 oz. (100g) confectioners’ sugar
2-3 tbsp. grapefruit juice
For the decoration:
red/pink peppercorns, cracked
dried edible flowers
Für das Shortbread:
120g weiche Butter
1 EL Grapefruitabrieb
1 TL Vanillepaste
130g Mehl (Type 405)
1/2 TL Salz
Für die Glasur:
2-3 EL Grapefruitsaft
Für die Dekoration:
Rosa Pfeffer, zerstoßen
essbare getrocknete Blüten
DIRECTIONS / ZUBEREITUNG
2. Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Bake the shortbread about 15-18 minutes until the edges get a golden color and the center is firm. Take out of the oven, remove from the tin immediately and cut like a pizza into 16 slices. Let cool down completely.
3. For the glaze mix the confectioners’ sugar with the grapefruit juice until smooth. Brush the shortbread with it the glaze and decorate with salt, pepper and edible flowers. Let dry.
2. Den Ofen auf 180°C (350°F) vorheizen. Das Shortbread für etwa 15-18 Minuten backen, bis die Ränder eine goldene Farbe bekommen haben und die Mitte fest ist. Aus dem Ofen nehmen und sofort aus der Form lösen und wie eine Pizza in 16 gleichgroße Stücke schneiden. Komplett auskühlen lassen.
3. Für die Glasur den Puderzucker mit dem Grapefruitsaft glattrühren. Die Shortbreadstücke damit bestreichen und dann mit dem Salz, Pfeffer und den getrockneten Blüten dekorieren und trocknen lassen.
Here is a version of the recipe you can print easily.
- 1/2 cup (120g) butter, at room temperature
- 1/3 cup (45g) confectioners' sugar
- 1 tbsp. grapefruit zest
- 1 tsp. vanilla paste
- 1 cup (130g) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 3.5 oz. (100g) confectioners' sugar
- 2-3 tbsp. grapefruit juice
- pink salt
- red/pink peppercorns, cracked
- dried edible flowers
- Line a 9 inches (23cm) springform tin with baking parchment and set aside. Mix the butter with confectioners' sugar, grapefruit zest, and vanilla paste in a large bowl until light and fluffy. Add the flour and salt and mix until well combined. Transfer the dough to the springform tin, press to the bottom and smooth out the top. Prick several times with a form and place in the fridge for at least 1 hour (or covered over night)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Bake the shortbread about 15-18 minutes until the edges get a golden color and the center is firm. Take out of the oven, remove from the tin immediately and cut like a pizza into 16 slices. Let cool down completely.
- For the glaze mix the confectioners' sugar with the grapefruit juice until smooth. Brush the shortbread with it the glaze and decorate with salt, pepper and edible flowers. Let dry.
- Enjoy baking!