Some of you might know that I’ve lived for some time in the US. More precisely in Florida. That information might have slipped here and there into a conversation (or blog post) I think ;P
One thing I brought home from Florida – besides several oversized pieces of luggage – is my love for everything baked like cupcakes, cookies or pies from the US. One of my all-time favorites is Florida’s state pie: the Key Lime Pie! Soooo goood!
Until recently I did not know that states can have official desserts. I knew that the Key Lime Pie was associated with Florida and the Keys, but since 2006 it’s the official pie of the state. Well… good choice! ;)
A real and authentic Key Lime Pie…. is nothing you can expect here ;) It might be the best Key Lime Pie in the world, but it’s definitely not an original one. For that, you would need limes from the Florida Keys. Which I do not have and can’t get anywhere in Berlin. I saw an offer for real lime juice from Key West on the internet, but for that money, you could have almost booked a flight to Miami and drive down to the Keys to squeeze some limes myself ;P
Who cares. I use “regular” lime juice for my pie and it is just as good! “But the meringue..” some might say. Yes, there is no meringue topping on this pie. Something you’d expect from an “original” Key Lime Pie… but hey, it’s already an “abomination” compared to the real one, why not skip the meringue as well?! ;P It’s too much sugar anyways. There is enough sugar in the condensed milk already, so let’s save some calories so we can eat one or two slices more!
The pie is pretty easy to prepare and basically fool-proof. If you like it sweet and sour, this is exactly what you want in summer. Really nice flavors and very refreshing when served straight from the fridge. I really love that pie and you will too! Pretty sure about that! ;)
INGREDIENTS / ZUTATEN
1 1/2 cups (140g) graham cracker crumbs
1/4 cup (50g) sugar
1/3 cup (75g) butter, melted
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
For the filling:
28 oz. (800g) sweetened condensed milk
1/2 cup (120g) sour cream
3/4 cup (180ml) Key Lime Juice or lime juice
For the decoration:
grated lime zest for garnish
140g Butterkekse, zerbröselt
75g geschmolzene Butter
1/2 TL Vanille Extrakt
Für die Füllung:
800g gezuckerte Kondensmilch (2 Dosen)
180ml Key Lime Saft bzw. Limettensaft
Für die Dekoration:
Abrieb von Bio-Limette
DIRECTIONS / ZUBEREITUNG
2. Add the sweetened condensed milk, sour cream and lime juice to a large bowl and mix until well combined and smooth. Pour into the prepared pie crust and smooth out the top. Bake for 12 minutes, then turn off the oven and leave in the closed oven for another 40 minutes. Take out of the oven and place in the fridge over night.
3. Before serving decorate with some whipped cream and grated lime zest.
2. Die gezuckerte Kondensmilch gut mit Schmand und Limettensaft verrühren und dann in die vorbereitete Form füllen. Die Oberfläche glattstreichen und dann für 12 Minuten backen. Den Ofen ausschalten und den Pie im geschlossenen und ausgeschalteten Ofen für etwa 40 Minuten stehen lassen, dann herausnehmen und über Nacht in den Kühlschrank stellen.
3. Vor dem Servieren mit Schlagsahne und Limettenschalenabrieb verzieren.
Craving more? Keep in touch on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest for new post updates and more. You can also contact me with any questions or inquiries!
Here is a version of the recipe you can print easily.Print
(Probably) The Best Key Lime Pie *EVER*
- Prep Time: 20
- Cook Time: 50
- Total Time: 720
- Yield: 9 1x
One of the best pies you can imagine! Delicious creamy Key Lime Pie is just the best in summer.
For the crust
- 1 1/2 cups (140g) graham cracker crumbs
- 1/4 cup (50g) sugar
- 1/3 cup (75g) butter, melted
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
For the filling
- 28 oz. (800g) sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup (120g) sour cream
- 3/4 cup (180ml) Key Lime Juice or lime juice
For the decoration
- grated lime zest for garnish
- whipped cream
- Preheat the oven to 350˚F (175°C). Melt the butter and let cool down again. Crush the graham crackers to fine crumbs (use a mixer or crush them with a rolling pin in a freezer bag). Add to a large bowl and mix with the sugar. Mix the butter with the vanilla extract and add to the bowl with the crumbs. Use a fork to mix the crumbs, sugar and melted butter until all the crumbs are moist. Pour into a 9 inch (23cm) pie dish and press to the bottom and sides to form a nice crust. Set aside.
- Add the sweetened condensed milk, sour cream and lime juice to a large bowl and mix until well combined and smooth. Pour into the prepared pie crust and smooth out the top. Bake for 12 minutes, then turn off the oven and leave in the closed oven for another 40 minutes. Take out of the oven and place in the fridge over night.
- Before serving decorate with some whipped cream and grated lime zest.
- Enjoy baking!