Cheers! Don’t worry I haven’t started to drink while I am writing recipes and articles, either did I develop such a habit while baking ;) But there is a reason for the “cheers” – the new Tullamore D.E.W XO plays an important part in these Caribbean inspired Shortbread today, so I guess you can serve a glass with it. Right?! Well then… cheers again!
Tullamore D.E.W.* offers the Irish whiskey Tullamore D.E.W. XO* for some time now. Whiskey experts probably know it already. I had to read about it first make a taste test as well. That whiskey is kind of special because of its maturing process – how it’s stored is different to other whiskey brands. The whiskey gets its special flavors from Caribbean Demerara rum casks. The flavors of whiskey and rum kind of merge together and make this whiskey here so special. The flavors range from caramel to banana and vanilla… really interesting!
Well… this whiskey ended up in my bake this time. A shortbread with cheese and pineapple. Might sound a bit unconventional, but the result is really delicious. I think you gonna like it.
“Combining the flavors of the island (Ireland) and the islands (Caribbean) in one little snack” – that was the idea behind it. That’s why the whiskey and cheese (one of them is Irish cheddar) ended up together with the pineapple in the shortbread to create a delicious savory snack. I mean – cheese and pineapple works in other dishes too – it had to work here too ;)
The shortbread snack will be served this week and the following week (starting today) in two bars here in Berlin alone with the Tullamore D.E.W. XO. Today at “Journey into the Night” and on December 6th at “Scotch & Sofa” So in case you are I town, you could theoretically try. I will let you know on my Instagram Account the locations of the bars you can try the snack and the whiskey – in case you are interested, check my Instagram Stories the nest couple days.
INGREDIENTS / ZUTATEN
1/2 cup (120g) butter, at room temperature
1.7 oz. (50g) parmesan, grated
1.4 oz. (40g) cheddar, grated
1 1/4 cups (160g) all-purpose flour
1-2 tsp. fresh thyme, chopped
2 tbsp. candied pineapple, finely chopped
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1/4 tsp. salt
1 1/2 tsp. Tullamore D.E.W. XO
some parmesan/cheddar, grated
120g weiche Butter
50g Parmesan, gerieben
40g Cheddar, gerieben
160g Mehl (Type 405)
1-2 TL frischer Thymian, gehackt
2 EL getrocknete Ananas, sehr fein gewürfelt
1/4 TL Schwarzer Pfeffer
1/4 TL Salz
1 1/2 TL Tullamore D.E.W. XO
geriebener Parmesan/Cheddar zum Bestreuen
DIRECTIONS / ZUBEREITUNG
2. Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Line a baking sheet with baking parchment. Cut the dough log into 25-30 slices and place with some space in between on the baking sheet. Sprinkle with some cheese and bake for 16-19 minutes until the shortbread has a nice golden color. Take out of the oven and let cool down a bit on the baking sheet, then remove and let cool down completely on a wire rack.
2. Den Ofen auf 180°C (350°F) vorheizen. Ein Backblech mit Backpapier auslegen. Die Teigrolle in 25-30 Scheiben schneiden und die Teigstücke mit ein wenig Abstand auf das Blech setzen, mit Parmesan/Cheddar bestreuen und für 16-19 Minuten backen – das Shortbread sollte etwas Farbe bekommen haben. Für ein paar Minuten auf dem Blech abkühlen lassen, dann auf einem Kuchengitter komplett auskühlen lassen.
Here is a version of the recipe you can print easily.
- 1/2 cup (120g) butter, at room temperature
- 1.7 oz. (50g) parmesan, grated
- 1.4 oz. (40g) cheddar, grated
- 1 1/4 cups (160g) all-purpose flour
- 1-2 tsp. fresh thyme, chopped
- 2 tbsp. candied pineapple, finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp,. black pepper
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 1/2 tsp. Tullamore D.E.W. XO
- some parmesan/cheddar, grated
- Add the butter to a large bowl and mix until light and creamy. Mix the grated parmesans and cheddar with the flour, thyme, chopped pineapple, pepper, and salt. Add together with the whiskey to the bowl and mix until just combined. Form into a log with about 1.2 inches (3cm) thickness, wrap in plastic wrap and place in the fridge for about 1-1 1/2 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Line a baking sheet with baking parchment. Cut the dough log into 25-30 slices and place with some space in between on the baking sheet. Sprinkle with some cheese and bake for 16-19 minutes until the shortbread has a nice golden color. Take out of the oven and let cool down a bit on the baking sheet, then remove and let cool down completely on a wire rack.
- Enjoy baking!