Today’s recipe did not come out of my chaotic brain. Today’s recipe is from a very sane person (unlike me) that just recently published their first book here in Germany! Yay! My favorite blogger colleague of all time – Andrea from Zimtkeks & Apfeltarte has written a really nice cookbook and this Zucchini Walnut Bread is one of her many recipes in that book. So proud of her! :)
Andrea did a really good job with her first book called „Backen aus dem Obstgarten“ (it’s in German of course). It is full of nice regional and seasonal recipe and all about fruits and some veggies from the garden. One of the recipes is this delicious cake made with zucchini and walnuts. When I was looking at the book to decide which recipe to show you here, I could have easily taken ten of the recipes. They all looked so good and sounded all easy to prepare. Looking at all those recipes…there is something for everyone in this book I guess: scones, muffins, cheesecakes, tarts, pies, and much more – always with some kind of fruits or berries or in case of this cake here with veggies. Really nice. Each recipe belongs to one of the for seasons so you can easily check what kind of bake is best right now with fresh seasonal ingredients.
So it took me a while to decide what recipe to use and I ended up with this zucchini walnut cake. It’s taken from the autumn section of the book – even though it’s late summer here ;) There are so many zucchinis available right now and since I haven’t made a zucchini cake in a long time, this one here was the one to make ;)
If you never made a cake with zucchini – the veggie gives a cake a great texture and keeps it moist. It will not taste like zucchini, so it’s a good option to trick kids to eat veggies cause they won’t know :P With the zucchini inside a cake normally stays longer “fresh and moist” than most other loaf cakes. Andreas recipe in the book mentions chocolate only as an option to add it to the cake… I had to add it 100% – cakes are only getting better with chocolate!!!
So if you are looking for a nice baking book (in German – have to mention it again) with great recipes and of course really nice pictures – no matter if it’s for your self or if you want to give it to somebody else – this one here is “Bake to the roots approved”! Not only because I like Andrea a lot. She is a really good baker too! ;)))
You can get the book in all major bookstores or online – for example directly at the publisher’s website*.
Backen aus dem Obstgarten: Mit Genuss durchs ganze Jahr
Author: Andrea Natschke-Hofmann
Hardback Edition: 136 pages
Publisher: Jan Thorbecke Verlag; Auflage: 1 (12. Februar 2018)
INGREDIENTS / ZUTATEN
9 oz. (250g) zucchini, grated
1 cup (200g) brown sugar
1/3 cup (160ml) vegetable oil
1 tsp. vanilla extract
3 medium eggs
2 1/3 cups (300g) all-purpose flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
pinch of salt
1.8 oz. (50g) semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
250g Zucchini, geraspelt
200g brauner Zucker
1 TL Vanille Extrakt
3 Eier (M)
300g Mehl (Type 550)
2 TL Backpulver
1 TL Zimt
50g Zartbitterschokolade, gehackt
DIRECTIONS / ZUBEREITUNG
2. Chop the walnuts coarsely, wash and grate the zucchini. Set aside. Add the sugar together with the oil and vanilla extract to a large bowl and mix on high speed until well combined. Add the eggs one after another, mixing well after each addition. Mix the flour with baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. Add to the bowl with the wet ingredients and fold in. Add the zucchini, walnuts, and chopped chocolate and fold in. Pour the batter into the prepared loaf tin, smooth out the top and bake for 55-60 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Take out of the oven and let cool down in the tin for some time, then remove carefully and let cool down completely on a wire rack.
2. Die Walnüsse grob hacken, die Zucchini waschen und dann raspeln. Zur Seite stellen. Den Zucker zusammen mit Öl und Vanille Extrakt in eine große Schüssel geben und auf höchster Stufe aufschlagen, bis alles gut verbunden ist. Die Eier einzeln dazugeben und jeweils sehr gut unterrühren. Das Mehl mit Backpulver, Zimt und Salz vermischen und dann zur Schüssel dazugeben und unterheben. Zucchini, Walnüsse und gehackte Schokolade dazugeben und ebenfalls unterheben. Den Teig in die Form füllen, Glattstreichen und dann für 55-60 Minuten backen. Mit einem Holzspieß testen ob noch Teig kleben bleibt und den Kuchen erst herausnehmen, wenn der Spies sauber herauskommt. Aus dem Ofen nehmen und für ein paar Minuten in der Form abkühlen lassen, dann vorsichtig herauslösen und auf einem Kuchengitter Komplett abkühlen lassen.
Craving more? Keep in touch on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest for new post updates and more. You can also contact me with any questions or inquiries!
Here is a version of the recipe you can print easily.
Walnut Zucchini Bread
- Prep Time: 20
- Cook Time: 60
- Total Time: 90
Delicious zucchini bread with walnuts and chocolate. The zucchini gives the bread a really nice texture!
- 3.5 oz. (100g) walnuts, chopped
- 9 oz. (250g) zucchini, grated
- 1 cup (200g) brown sugar
- 1/3 cup (160ml) vegetable oil
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3 medium eggs
- 2 1/3 cups (300g) all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- 1.8 oz. (50g) semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Grease a 10×4 inches (25x11cm) loaf tin or line with baking parchment. Set aside.
- Chop the walnuts coarsely, wash and grate the zucchini. Set aside. Add the sugar together with the oil and vanilla extract to a large bowl and mix on high speed until well combined. Add the eggs one after another, mixing well after each addition. Mix the flour with baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. Add to the bowl with the wet ingredients and fold in. Add the zucchini, walnuts, and chopped chocolate and fold in. Pour the batter into the prepared loaf tin, smooth out the top and bake for 55-60 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Take out of the oven and let cool down in the tin for some time, then remove carefully and let cool down completely on a wire rack.
- Enjoy baking!
- Serving Size: 10
*Note: The book I wrote about was given me at no charge – that’s why I declare this blog post as advertising.