These Christmas cookies today are something my grandma would have never made. Not because she did not like Hazelnut Christmas Cookies – she did not know what vegan means ;) Back when she was still with us she did not know anybody living on a vegan diet (yes – that was quite a while ago). Neither did I back then ;) Well… things change and many things that were not vegan back then are vegan now. Including Christmas cookies like these here. Not a big deal anymore. Baking does not always require products from animals…
At home we also made this kind of hazelnut cookies when I was young(er) but normally with egg whites. These vegan version does not need eggs or egg replacements. Sometimes you can just leave out the stuff that is not plant-based and you will still get a good result. Makes me wonder why they put in eggs in the first place ;) Well… does not matter. Cookies are cookies. Delicious cookies!
These vegan Hazelnut Christmas Cookies are pretty easy to prepare. Mix the fat (vegan) and sugar as usual and then add the hazelnuts and flour. That’s it. You can also add some hazelnut liquor* like I did, but that is not necessary. But it won’t hurt anybody either :P
To get the nice round shape, use a small cookie scoop and place a ball of dough on the wafers, add a small hazelnut on top and you’re done! I have a little collection of cookie scoops* for every size needed – here I used one that is 1.6 inches (4cm) big (the round sphere… you know what I mean… dunno what it is called ;)
Do you have a favorite Christmas cookie you would like to “veganize”? ;) Let me know in the comments…
INGREDIENTS / ZUTATEN
3.5 oz. (100g) margarine
1/4 cup (50g) brown sugar
1 cup (130g) all-purpose flour
1 cup (90g) ground hazelnuts
2 tsp. hazelnut liquor (optional)
about 20 thin round wafers (oblate), about Ø 2 inches
about 20 whole hazelnuts
50g brauner Zucker
90g Haselnüsse (gemahlen)
2 TL Haselnusslikör (optional)
ca. 20 Oblaten (Ø 5cm)
ca. 20 Haselnüsse, ganz
DIRECTIONS / ZUBEREITUNG
2. Use a small cookie scoop or teaspoons and place small dough portions on the wafers, place a whole hazelnut on each dough portion and place on the baking sheet. Bake for about 10 minutes. Take out of the oven and let cool down on a wire rack.
2. Mit einem kleinen Cookie Scoop (Eisportionierer) oder Teelöffeln kleine Teigportionen auf die Oblaten setzen und jeweils eine ganze Haselnuss hineindrücken. Die Plätzchen auf das Blech setzen und für etwa 10 Minuten backen. Aus dem Ofen nehmen und auf einem Kuchengitter auskühlen lassen.
Here is a version of the recipe you can print easily.
- 3.5 oz. (100g) margarine
- 1/4 cup (50g) brown sugar
- 1 cup (130g) all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (90g) ground hazelnuts
- 2 tsp. hazelnut liquor (optional)
- about 20 thin round wafers (oblate), about Ø 2 inches
- about 20 whole hazelnuts
- Preheat the oven to 340°F (170°C). Line a baking sheet with baking parchment and set aside. Add the margarine and brown sugar to a large bowl and mix on high speed until light and fluffy. Mix the flour with the ground hazelnuts and add together with the liquor (optional) to the bowl. Mix until well combined.
- Use a small cookie scoop or teaspoons and place small dough portions on the wafers, place a whole hazelnut on each dough portion and place on the baking sheet. Bake for about 10 minutes. Take out of the oven and let cool down on a wire rack.
- Enjoy baking!