It’s Friday and you all know what this means: It’s Cookie Friday! Yay! Today’s cookies are made with fruits so you could say they are healthy cookies. Perfect match with all those New Year’s resolutions we have, right? Well… no matter if healthy or not, these Banana Walnut Chocolate Chunk Cookies are definitely delicious! That’s all that counts ;)
New Year normally marks the day when everybody stops eating sweet stuff. Officially. Except for me. I have to continue baking cakes and sweets. It’s a curse ;P Well… I continued baking but most of the stuff I made ended up not on my plate. Just tiny pieces. I was a bit tired of all the chocolate from the Christmas sweets. With several days passing I can go back to eat some cookies ;) Could not have resisted the combination of banana, walnuts and semi-sweet chocolate anyways. It’s so good.
These cookies stay nice and delicious for at least one week if you store them properly. A tin box is the best here so they are not drying out too much nor get completely mushy. Even though they last quite a while, I recommend eating them in the first couple of days. When fresh the outside is nice and crunchy and the inside is soft. Over time the crust gets softer and the inside bit less soft. Don’t get me wrong – there is nothing wrong about that – the cookies are still delicious, but fresh cookies are just better ;)
Regarding the chocolate in these cookies – I highly recommend using good quality chocolate with more than 60% of cocoa. The light bitterness of the chocolate and the sweetness of the banana create such a good flavor combination. If you use milk chocolate, these cookies would be much sweeter. I guess you can find good chocolate or already have a favorite brand anyway ;)
INGREDIENTS / ZUTATEN
1/2 cup (65g) all-purpose flour
1/4 cup (35g) whole-wheat flour
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
3 oz. (90g) butter
1/4 cup (50g) sugar
1/4 cup (50g) brown sugar
1 medium egg
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 medium-sized ripe banana, mashed
1/2 cup (40g) rolled oats
3.5 oz. (100g) semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
1/4 cup (30g) walnuts, chopped
65g Mehl (Type 550)
1/4 TL Natron
1/2 TL Salz
50g bauner Zucker
1 Ei (M)
1 TL Vanille Extrakt
1/2 reife mittelgroße Banane, zerquetscht
40g Haferflocken (Kleinblatt)
100g Zartbitterschokolade, gehackt
30g Walnüsse, gehackt
DIRECTIONS / ZUBEREITUNG
2. Add the butter and sugars to a large bowl and mix until light and fluffy. Add the egg and vanilla extract, and mix until well combined. Mix in the mashed banana. Add the flour mixture and mix until just combined. Fold in the oats, chocolate, and walnuts. Use a cookie scoop or tablespoon to place dough portions with enough space on the prepared baking sheet and bake for 12-13 minutes until set with a nice golden color. Take out of the oven and let cool down a bit on the baking sheet, then transfer to a wire rack and let cool down completely. Repeat with the remaining dough.
2. Die Butter mit den beiden Zuckersorten in einer großen Schüssel hell und luftig aufschlagen. Das Ei und den Vanille Extrakt zugeben und beides gut unterrühren. Die zerquetschte halbe Banane dazugeben und unterrühren. Die Mehlmischung dazugeben und nur kurz unterrühren, dann die Haferflocken, gehackte Schokolade und gehackte Walnüsse in die Schüssel geben und unterheben. Mit einem Eisportionierer oder Esslöffeln Teigportionen mit genügend Abstand auf das Blech setzen und dann für 12-13 Minuten goldbraun backen. Aus dem Ofen holen und erst auf dem Blech kurze Zeit abkühlen lassen, dann auf einem Kuchengitter komplett auskühlen lassen. Mit dem restlichen Teig wiederholen.
Craving more? Keep in touch on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest for new post updates and more. You can also contact me with any questions or inquiries!
Here is a version of the recipe you can print easily.Print
Banana Walnut Chocolate Chunk Cookies
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 12
- Total Time: 45
- Yield: 15 1x
Delicious soft and crunchy (on the outside) cookies with banana, walnuts and large chocolate pieces. Almost too good to be true ;)
- 1/2 cup (65g) all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup (35g) whole-wheat flour
- 1/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 3 oz. (90g) butter
- 1/4 cup (50g) sugar
- 1/4 cup (50g) brown sugar
- 1 medium egg
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 medium-sized ripe banana, mashed
- 1/2 cup (40g) rolled oats
- 3.5 oz. (100g) semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
- 1/4 cup (30g) walnuts, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C). Line a baking sheet with baking parchment and set aside. Mix the flours with baking soda and salt in a small bowl and set aside.
- Add the butter and sugars to a large bowl and mix until light and fluffy. Add the egg and vanilla extract, and mix until well combined. Mix in the mashed banana. Add the flour mixture and mix until just combined. Fold in the oats, chocolate, and walnuts. Use a cookie scoop or tablespoon to place dough portions with enough space on the prepared baking sheet and bake for 12-13 minutes until set with a nice golden color. Take out of the oven and let cool down a bit on the baking sheet, then transfer to a wire rack and let cool down completely. Repeat with the remaining dough.
- Enjoy baking!