Are you looking for a little gift for friends? Something you can bring if you are invited to a party? Well – make a cake in a jar and everybody will be impressed – everybody will think you are the queen or king of baking ;)
Well – it is actually very easy to make and pretty quick after all. Do it in the morning and you can gift it in the afternoon already and the actual work is less than 20 Minutes.
The original recipe was asking for a glass jar or baking form that was acutally smaller than the one I used – luckily I only had the big glass at hand – it would have been a big mess in the oven! I did not pay attention and summarize all the ingredients – if I had done so, I would have noticed it is way too much for that small glass jar they suggested ;)
Well – use the big glass jar I mention in the recipe and if you are lucky, you can still close the lid after baking. If you want to make sure you can close it, use two slightly smaller glass jars and fill them between half and three quarters full. That way you make sure the cake is not rising over the edge.
INGREDIENTS / ZUTATEN
1/2 cup (120g) brown sugar
2/3 cup (90g) all-porpose flour
1 TL baking powder
1/2 cup (60g) hazelnuts, chopped
3.5 oz. (100g) carrots, grated
1 pinch of cardamom
1 vanilla pod
1 pinch of salt
(60g) butter, melted
confectioner’s sugar for dusting
120g brauner Zucker
90g Mehl (Type 405)
1 TL Backpulver
60g Haselnüsse, gehackt
100g Karotten, gerieben
1 Messerspitze Kardamom
1 Prise Salz
60g Butter, flüssig
Puderzucker zum Bestäuben
DIRECTIONS / ZUBEREITUNG
2. Chop the hazelnuts coarsely. Grate the carrots. Slice the vanilla pod and scrape out the seeds. In a large bowl beat brown sugar and eggs until light and fluffy. Add flour, melted butter and the seeds from the vanilla pod. Mix until just combined. Add chopped hazelnuts and carrots and fold in. Fill into the glass jar and bake for 40-45 minutes or until a skewer inserted in center comes out clean. Dust with confectioner’s sugar.
2. Haselnüsse grob hacken. Karotte fein raspeln. Vanilleschote auskratzen. In einer großen Schüssel den Zucker mit den Eiern schaumig aufschlagen. Mehl, geschmolzene Butter und Vanillemark zugeben und nur kurz verrühren. Haselnüsse und Karotten zugeben und unterheben. Alles ins Weckglas füllen und 40-45 Minuten backen – mit einem Holzspieß testen, ob noch Teig kleben bleibt. Mit Puderzucker bestäuben.
Here is a version of the recipe you can print easily.
- 1/2 cup (120g) brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup (90g) all-porpose flour
- 1 TL Backpulver
- 1/2 cup (60g) hazelnuts, chopped
- 3.5 oz. (100g) carrots, grated
- 1 pinch of cardamom
- 1 vanilla pod
- 1 pinch of salt
- (60g) butter, melted
- confectioner’s sugar for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 350˚F (175°C). Grease the heatproof jar. In a small bowl mix flour with baking powder, cardamom and salt. Melt the butter and set aside.
- Chop the hazelnuts coarsely. Grate the carrots. Slice the vanilla pod and scrape out the seeds. In a large bowl beat brown sugar and eggs until light and fluffy. Add flour, melted butter and the seeds from the vanilla pod. Mix until just combined. Add chopped hazelnuts and carrots and fold in. Fill into the glass jar and bake for 40-45 minutes or until a skewer inserted in center comes out clean. Dust with confectioner's sugar.
- Enough for one big heatproof jar 25 fl oz.