Are you ready for some nuts? Maybe some Christmas cookies with pecans and chocolate? Sounds good? Well… surprise, surprise! I got something for you with those ingredients. Delicious Pecan Chocolate Crinkle Cookies in da house! If you want to make some cookies for Christmas, these are the ones to make. Seriously ;)
Mid/end of November I normally start the production of Christmas cookies. I have a lot of recipes I do every year, but I also want to have some new ones each year. For that, I have to experiment a bit and adapt already existing recipes to create something new. Add some new ingredients here and there, get rid of some others and tadaaaa… you get a new recipe for delicious Christmas cookies. Sometimes. Not always. But this one here worked really well ;)
I suppose you all know crinkle cookies. They are easy to prepare and I really like how they look. You know how they are made, right? You roll the dough in confectioners’ sugar so the dough portions are coated completely, then you bake them and when the cookies expand, you get the typical cracked, crinkly look. The more the cookies rise, the bigger get the cracks. A good example for that – these Chocolate Crinkle Cookies.
Oh by the way – you can make these cookies with walnuts instead of the pecans if you like – they are as good as the original ones. But then you got to top them with walnuts or people will be confused :P
INGREDIENTS / ZUTATEN
For the dough:
2/3 cup (90g) all-purpose flour
1/2 cup (70g) cornstarch
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 cup (30g) confectioners’ sugar
1/4 cup (30g) cocoa powder
1/2 cup (120g) cold butter
2 tbsp. maple syrup
1.7 oz. (50g) pecans, chopped
For the decoration:
2-3 tbsp. confectioners’ sugar
some melted chocolate (about 2 tbsp.)
20 pecans (whole)
Für den Teig:
90g Mehl (Type 405)
1/2 TL Backpulver
120g kalte Butter
2 EL Ahornsirup
50g Pekannüsse, gehackt
Für die Dekoration:
2-3 EL Puderzucker
etwas geschmolzene Schokolade (ca. 2 EL)
20 Pekannüsse, ganz
DIRECTIONS / ZUBEREITUNG
2. Mix the flour with cornstarch, baking powder, confectioners’ sugar, and cocoa in a large bowl. Add the butter in small pieces as well as the maple syrup and the chopped pecans. Knead until you get a nice dough, try to work quickly. Form 20 balls of the same size and roll in the confectioners’ sugar (the one for the decoration). Flatten the balls a bit and place on the baking sheet. Bake for 13-15 minutes, then take out and let cool down completely on a wire rack
3. Add a small drop of melted chocolate on each cooled cookie and press a pecan on top for decoration. Let dry.
2. Das Mehl mit der Stärke, Backpulver, Puderzucker und Kakao in einer großen Schüssel vermischen. Die Butter in kleinen Stücken dazugeben, ebenso den Ahornsirup und die gehackten Pekannüsse und alles recht zügig zu einem geschmeidigen Teig verkneten. Aus dem Teig 20 gleichgroße Kugeln formen und dann im Puderzucker wälzen. Etwas plattdrücken und auf das vorbereitete Blech setzen. Für 13-15 Minuten backen, dann herausnehmen und auf einem Kuchengitter komplett abkühlen lassen.
3. Auf die abgekühlten Cookies je einen kleinen Klecks Schokolade geben und dann je eine Pekannus hineindrücken und die Cookies damit verzieren.
Here is a version of the recipe you can print easily.
- 2/3 cup (90g) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (70g) cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 cup (30g) confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup (30g) cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup (120g) cold butter
- 2 tbsp. maple syrup
- 1.7 oz. (50g) pecans, chopped
- 2-3 tbsp. confectioners' sugar
- some melted chocolate (about 2 tbsp.)
- 20 pecans (whole)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Line a baking sheet with baking parchment. Place the pecans for the dough and the ones for the decoration on the baking sheet and toast in the oven for about 5-8 minutes until fragrant. Take out of the oven and off the baking sheet and let cool down. Set 20 nice looking pecans aside and chop the rest finely.
- Mix the flour with cornstarch, baking powder, confectioners' sugar, and cocoa in a large bowl. Add the butter in small pieces as well as the maple syrup and the chopped pecans. Knead until you get a nice dough, try to work quickly. Form 20 balls of the same size and roll in the confectioners' sugar (the one for the decoration). Flatten the balls a bit and place on the baking sheet. Bake for 13-15 minutes, then take out and let cool down completely on a wire rack
- Add a small drop of melted chocolate on each cooled cookie and press a pecan on top for decoration. Let dry.
- Enjoy baking!