Do you remember the lavender cookies I made several weeks ago? It seems you liked them – some of you made them and said the taste was really nice ;) So happy to hear stuff like that! I actually thought the use of lavender would be a bit more… let’s say controversial… but no ;)
This is why I made another batch of cookies with lavender. This time: Lavender Shortbread Cookies!
I might have mentioned it already – lavender is not really one of the most common ingredients for baking. Most of the time it’s still being used for soap or to get rid of moths in your wardrobe :P But as you can see here, there are other ways to make something nice with it. I really like cookies with a hint of lavender. The right dosage gives you a really nice flavor.
Unlike the other lavender cookies I made – they were softer – these shortbread cookies are the “classic” version of lavender cookies. Shortbread cookies are easy to make and ideal for many kinds of flavors – vanilla, lemon or lavender. You can also use tea leaves to flavor shortbread cookies (e.g. these Earl Grey Cookies) – the results are always nice ;)
If you like, you can decorate the cookies with the colored sugar like I did, but it’s actually not necessary. You can use regular sugar if you don’t want to use food color.
Well… have fun baking these cookies! If you never used lavender, go easy with it first to find the right dosage. Later you can use more if you like. Just sayin’ ;)
INGREDIENTS / ZUTATEN
For the dough:
1/2 cup (120) butter
2/3 cup (90g) confectioners’ sugar
2 cups (260g) all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp. salt
2 tsp. dried lavender
1/2 tsp. zest of organic orange
1-2 tbsp. cold water
For the coating:
1/4 cup (50g) cane sugar
purple food color
Für den Teig:
260g Mehl (Type 405)
1/4 TL Salz
2 TL getrockneter Lavendel
1 TL Abrieb von Bio-Orange
1-2 EL kaltes Wasser
Für die Dekoration:
50g weißer Rohrzucker
DIRECTIONS / ZUBEREITUNG
2. Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C). Line two baking sheets with baking parchment and set aside. Mix the sugar and a tiny drop of purple food color (you really do not need much) in a small freezer bag until the sugar is purple. Roll the dough log in this sugar to cover it completely (it helps if you warm the dough bit with your hands before so the surface gets a bit sticky). Cut into 32-34 slices and place on the baking sheets. Bake for about 10-11 minutes – the cookies should be firm but not browned. Take out of the oven and let cool down completely on a wire rack.
2. Den Ofen auf 175°C (350°F) vorheizen. Zwei Backbleche mit Backpapier auslegen und zur Seite stellen. Den Zucker mit einem kleinen Tropfen Lebensmittelfarbe in einem kleinen Gefrierbeutel so lange verreiben, bis der Zucker komplett Lila ist. Die Teigrolle im Zucker wälzen, bis sie komplett mit lila Zucker bedeckt ist (wenn man die Teigrolle vorher etwas mit den Händen anwärmt, hält der Zucker besser). Die Rolle in 32-34 Scheiben schneiden und auf die Bleche verteilen. Für 10-11 Minuten backen. Die Cookies sollten fest sein, aber keine Farbe bekommen beim Backen. Aus dem Ofen nehmen und auf einem Kuchengitter komplett abkühlen lassen.
Here is a version of the recipe you can print easily.Print
Easy to prepare and delicious shortbread cookies with lavender – perfect for your next tea time :)
For the dough
- 1/2 cup (120) butter
- 2/3 cup (90g) confectioners’ sugar
- 2 cups (260g) all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. dried lavender
- 1/2 tsp. zest of organic orange
- 1–2 tbsp. cold water
For the coating
- 1/4 cup (50g) cane sugar
- purple food color
- Crush the lavender in a mortar so it breaks up and releases its flavors. Set Aside. Add the butter and confectioners’ sugar to a large bowl and mix on high speed until light and fluffy. Add the flour, salt, crushed lavender, and the zest of the orange and mix well – you should get fine crumbles. Gradually add the cold water until the dough starts sticking together. Form a log with a diameter of about 2 inches (5cm) and wrap in plastic wrap. Place in the fridge for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C). Line two baking sheets with baking parchment and set aside. Mix the sugar and a tiny drop of purple food color (you really do not need much) in a small freezer bag until the sugar is purple. Roll the dough log in this sugar to cover it completely (it helps if you warm the dough bit with your hands before so the surface gets a bit sticky). Cut into 32-34 slices and place on the baking sheets. Bake for about 10-11 minutes – the cookies should be firm but not browned. Take out of the oven and let cool down completely on a wire rack.
- Enjoy baking!