Delicious little chocolate lava cakes with Baileys Chocolat Luxe and chocolate ice cream.
For 1kg of ice cream
- 4.6 oz. (130g) semi-sweet chocolate (70%)
- 19.3 fl.oz. (570ml) milk (3,8% fat)
- 1.35 fl.oz. (40ml) heavy cream
- 4 medium egg yolks
- 1 oz. (30g) milk powder
- 3.5 oz. (100g) sugar
- 1.75 oz. (50g) honey
For 6 cakes
- 4 oz. (110g) semi-sweet chocolate (70%)
- 1.75 oz. (50g) butter
- 3 medium eggs
- 2.5 oz. (70g) sugar
- 1.35 fl.oz. (30ml) Baileys Chocolat Luxe
- 1.75 oz. (50g) all-purpose flour
For the sauce
- 7 oz. (200g) heavy cream
- 3.5 oz (100g) semi-sweet chocolate (70%), chopped
- physalis for the decoration
- Szechuan pepper
- For the chocolate ice cream add the chocolate to a bowl and melt over a pot with simmering water. Set aside. Add the milk and heavy cream to a large pot. Add the egg yolks and mix in. Heat up while stirring. Add the powdered milk and mix in as soon as the mixture has room temperature. Add the sugar, honey and glucose to the pot as soon as the mixture reaches a temperature of 95°F (35°C) and mix in. Continue stirring and heating the mixture until you reach a temperature of 140°F (60°C), then add the melted chocolate and mix in. Stir the mixture constantly and heat up until it reaches a temperature of 185°F (85°C). Use a thermometer. Take off the heat as soon as you reach the temperature. Make sure the mixture does not cook – the egg yolks might curdle. Let cool down completely, then place in the fridge for several hours to cool. Add to a ice machine and let it do it’s magic. You can also add the mixture to a large bowl and place in the freezer. Wait until the mixture starts to freeze from the outside to the center (about 90 minutes). Whip the mixture until light and fluffy. Repeat 2-3 times until the ice cream mixture is thick and creamy. Add to an airtight container and let freeze for at least two hours.
- Preheat the oven to 390°F (200°C). Grease a muffin tin and dust with flour. Set aside. Melt the chocolate and butter in a bowl over a pot with simmering water. Set aside to cool down. Whisk the eggs with the sugar in a large bowl until foamy. Add the cooled chocolate mixture and mix on high speed until creamy. Add the Baileys Chocolate Luxe and mix in. Fold in the flour. Fill the mixture into the prepared muffin tins, each about 2/3 full. Bake for 7-10 minutes until the sides are firm but the center is still a bit soft. Take out of the oven.
- While the cakes are baking, bring the heavy cream for the sauce to a boil in a small pot. Take off the heat and mix in the chocolate and let melt.
- Remove the warm cakes from the tins very carefully and place on a plate. Add some chocolate ice cram and sprinkle with some of the chocolate sauce. Decorate with physalis and Szechuan pepper.
- Enjoy baking!
- Serving Size: 6