Delicious way to start your morning with a healthy and vegan breakfast: Chickpea Turmeric Crêpes with Mushrooms & Spinach
For the crêpes:
4.6 oz. (130g) chickpea flour
1/2 tsp. ground turmeric
1 pinch of salt
1 1/3 cup (320ml) lukewarm water
olive oil for frying
For the garlic sauce:
1 cup (230g) soy yogurt (natural)
1–2 tsp. fresh lemon juice
2–3 garlic cloves, grated
1 tbsp. chopped flat-leaf parsley
flaky sea salt, pepper
For the filling:
1–2 tbsp. olive oil
8.8 oz. (250g) brown mushrooms, sliced
3.5 oz. (100g) shiitake mushrooms, sliced
1 medium onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, chopped
7 oz. (200g) baby spinach leaves
flaky sea salt, pepper
some chopped flat-leaf parsley for decorations (optional)
some chopped spring onions for decorations (optional)
1. Start with the batter for the crêpes. Add the chickpea flour, ground turmeric, and salt to a bowl and mix to combine. Gradually add the lukewarm water until you get a batter that is not too runny – you might not need all of the water. Let rest for about 20 minutes.
2. While the batter is resting, prepare the garlic sauce by adding the yogurt and lemon juice to a bowl. Peel the garlic and grate it into the yogurt (be careful with your fingertips!). Chop some parsley and add about 1 tablespoon to the bowl and keep the rest for decorations (optional). Mix everything and season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
3. Prepare the mushrooms by cleaning and cutting them into slices. Peel and chop the onion and garlic. Wash and drain the baby spinach leaves. Set everything aside.
4. When the batter is ready, heat up a non-stick pan with some olive oil. Make the crêpes – use about 1/2 cup of batter for each crêpe. You should be able to get 5 crêpes with the batter, so don’t worry if the first one looks wonky ;) Try not to brown them too much. Place crêpes on a plate and keep warm (e.g. in the oven on low temperature).
5. When the crepes are done add some more olive oil to the pan and fry the mushrooms until browned and slightly crispy – about 3-4 minutes. Add the onion and garlic and continue frying until lightly browned. Add the spinach and let wilt down (but not too much). Season with salt and pepper and take off the heat.
6. To assemble place a crêpe on a plate, add 1/4 of the filling on one side, drizzle with some of the garlic sauce and close the crêpe. Sprinkle with some parsley and chopped spring onions (optional). Serve one crêpe per person – if you are hungry in the morning you can serve two crêpes per person ;)
Keywords: crêpes, mushrooms, spinach, turmeric, vegan, breakfast