For the glazed bacon
- 2 stripes of bacon
- 1 tsp. brown sugar
- 1 tsp. maple syrup
- 1 tsp. (maple) bourbon whiskey
For the cupcakes
- 1 1/2 cups (200g) all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 cup (115g) butter
- 1 cup (220g) brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 6 tbsp. milk
- 6 tbsp. (maple) bourbon whiskey
For the buttercream*
- 1/2 cup (115g) butter, at room temperature
- 2 cups (260g) confectioner’s sugar
- 3 tbsp. maple syrup
- Preheat the oven to 350˚F (175°C). Mix together the brown sugar, maple syrup and whiskey. Place the bacon on a baking sheet prepared with baking parchment. Brush the bacon with the glaze and bake for 15-25 minutes or until crispy. Watch closely, because the bacon can burn quickly (depends on the thickness of the slices). Let cool down and set aside.
- Don’t turn off the oven. Line two mini cupcake tins with paper liners. Sift together the flour and baking powder. Set aside. In a large bowl cream the butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one by one and mix well. Add the flour mix, milk and bourbon and mix slowly until smooth. Do not overmix. Fill the paper liners 2/3 full and bake for 12-14 minutes (22-24 minutes for regular sized cupcakes) – until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool on a wire rack.
- For the buttercream beat the butter until light and fluffy. Add the confectioner’s sugar one cup at a time and mix well after each addition. Add the maple syrup and beat on high speed for 4-5 minutes until light and creamy. Place in the fridge for 5 minutes.
- Transfer the butterceam to a piping bag with a star tip and frost the cupcakes with a little swirl. Top with a piece of glazed bacon and drizzle a bit maple syrup on top (optional).
- *if you make regular sized cupcakes, you might double the buttercream, so you can top the cupcakes with a good amount of buttercream ;)