For the sugar glass
- 1 cup (240ml) water
- 2 cups (400g) white sugar
- 1/4 tsp. cream of tartar
For the cupcakes
- 1/2 cup (115g) unsalted butter
- 2 oz. (60g) dark chocolate (71%)
- 1/2 cup (60g) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup (95g) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 3/4 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup (100g) granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup (50g) light brown sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup (120ml) buttermilk
For the buttercream
- 1/2 stick (70g) unsalted butter, softened
- 1/4 cup (50g) vegetable shortening
- 2–3 tbsp. Nutella
- pinch of fine grain sea salt
- 1/2 tbsp. vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups (300g) confectioner’s sugar
- 3 tbsp. heavy cream
For the blood sauce
- 8.8 oz. (250g) fresh raspberries
- 3 tbsp. confectioner’s sugar
- red and blue (black) food color
For the decoration
- zombie hands or tombstones
- Start with the sugar glass. Line a baking sheet with baking parchment and set aside. In a sauce pan mix sugar, water and cream of tatar. Bring to a boil – do it slowly or your sugar glass will turn into caramel eventually. The mix has to reach a temperature of 302°F (150°C) – use a candy thermometer to control the temperature. The temperature will rise steadily and slow down at some point – that is normal – that is the point where the water is evaporating. When the temperature is reached, remove from the heat. Pour onto the prepared baking sheet and let cool down completely. Be very careful with the sugar glass – you can burn yourself very easily! The mix is extremely hot and sticky!
- For the blood sauce smash the raspberries with an fork or mixer. Press through a fine sieve to get rid of the seeds. Add the confectioner’s sugar and a drop of food color and mix well. Add more food color until you get the desired color. The sauce should not be too liquid. Add some more confectioner’s sugar to thicken if necessary.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C). Line a 12-cup cupcake pan with cupcake liners. Melt the butter and chocolate in a small bowl (either over a pot with boiling water or in the microwave) Stir until smooth and set aside to slightly cool.
- In a medium sized bowl mix the cocoa powder, flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt together until thoroughly combined. Set aside. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, sugar, brown sugar, and vanilla together until smooth. Add the cooled butter-chocolate mix and whisk until smooth. Add half of the flour mixture, then half of the buttermilk. Repeat until everything is added. Stir until just combined, do not overmix. The batter will be very thick. Divide the batter between the liners in your cupcake pan. Bake for 16-18 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow to cool completely before frosting.
- For the buttercream cream butter and shortening in a large mixing bowl until well combined, thick and fluffy (about 5 minutes). Slowly add in confectioner’s sugar, and continue mixing until well blended. Add salt, vanilla, and 2 tbsp. of heavy cream. Beat at high speed until frosting is smooth and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Frost 6 of the cupcakes with buttercream by using a spatula. Add the nutella and 1 tbsp. heavy cream to the remaining buttercream and beat for another 3-5 minutes. Set aside.
- Break the sugar glass into pieces. Stab the already frosted cupcakes and drizzle some blood on the shards. Core the cupcakes that are not yet decorated with a cupcake corer. Keep the insides and cruble so you get some “earth”. Fill the holes with the remaining blood sauce and frost with the nutella buttercream. Sprinkle the “earth” and decorate with a zombie hand or tombstone.
- Happy Halloween!