The perfect burger for all that do not need meat on their bun: Halloumi Veggie Burger with Whipped Feta & Salsa! So good!
For the salsa topping:
1 medium tomato, cubed
1 piece of cucumber (about 2 inches/5cm), cubed
1/2 small red onion, chopped
1 tbsp. lime juice
For the whipped feta:
1.8 oz. (50g) feta cheese
2–3 dried tomatoes (the soft ones in oil)
1–2 tbsp. yogurt
1 tsp. lime juice
chili flakes (optional)
For the burgers:
some olive oil for frying
3 large mushrooms, sliced
7 oz. (200g) halloumi cheese, thickly sliced
some smoked paprika
2 brioche burger buns
2 lettuce leaves
1. For the salsa topping wash and dry the tomato. Cut in half and remove the watery insides. Cut the tomato flesh into small cubes. Cut the piece of cucumber into equally small cubes. Peel the onion and chop half of it finely – wrap the other half and use it for something else. Add everything to a bowl and mix to combine. Add the lime juice and season with salt and pepper. Mix again. Place in the fridge until needed.
2. For the whipped feta add the feta, the dried tomatoes, and one tablespoon of yogurt to a bowl and mix with an immersion blender until you get a smooth paste. The consistency should be thick, similar to hummus. If you think it’s too compact, add some more yogurt. Add the lime juice and mix in. Season with salt, pepper, and some chili flakes for some heat (optional). Place in the fridge until needed.
3. Add some oil to a frying pan and heat up. Add the sliced mushrooms, season them with a bit of salt and fry from both sides until nicely browned – takes about 4-6 minutes. Remove from the pan.
4. Use the same pan for the halloumi. Add some more oil if necessary. Season the halloumi slices with smoked paprika, salt, and pepper, and fry from both sides until nicely browned – takes only a few minutes. Take out of the pan and set aside on a plate. Toast the brioche buns in the same pan.
5. To assemble the burgers place the bottom brioche buns on plates, add the fried mushrooms on top, then spread the whipped feta on top, place a lettuce leaf on top, then some salsa topping, the fried halloumi, and more of the salsa topping. Add the top of the brioche bun and serve immediately – with some fries or potato chips.
Keywords: burger, halloumi, veggies, whipped feta, summer, bbq