Give these Vegan Sausage Rolls to your carnivore friends and don’t tell them they are vegan – they will never know ;P So good!
For the fake “sausage” filling:
some oil for frying
1.8 oz. (50g) soy mince (e.g. Veganz Soja-Granulat*)
3.5 oz. (100g) vegetable broth (warm)
9 oz. (250g) mushrooms, finely diced
1 medium onion, finely diced
3 garlic cloves, finely diced
1 tbsp. tomato paste
3.5 oz. (100g) hot water
1 tbsp. soy sauce*
1 tbsp. Worcester sauce (vegan)*
1 tsp. Dijon mustard*
1 tsp. dried oregano
1/2 tsp. dried thyme
1/4 tsp. smoked paprika powder
For the “sausage” rolls:
1 roll (vegan) puff pastry
2 tsp. oat milk
1 tsp. maple syrup
1 tsp. olive oil
some “everything bagel” seasoning or black sesame seeds
1. Start with the filling by letting the soy mince soak in the warm veggie broth for about 10 minutes. Set aside. Meanwhile, you can prepare the mushrooms and veggies. Clean the mushrooms with kitchen paper and cut them into very small pieces/dice. Peel and chop the onion and garlic equally small/fine. Set everything aside.
2. Heat up a large (cast iron) pot with some oil and start sautéing the onions – about 3-4 minutes until soft and glossy. Add the diced mushrooms and continue cooking for another 4-5 minutes (add some more oil if needed). Add the soaked soy mince and garlic and continue cooking for a minute or so, then stir in the tomato paste. Let everything get to know each other for a moment, then deglaze with the water. Add the soy sauce, Worcester sauce, mustard, oregano, thyme, smoked paprika powder, as well as some salt and pepper. Reduce the heat and continue cooking until the liquid in the pot is almost gone. You want the mixture to be moist but not ooze out any liquids. Remove from the heat and let cool down a bit.
3. Preheat the oven to 390°F (200°C). Line a baking sheet with baking parchment and set aside. Take the puff pastry out of the fridge and let sit on the counter for about 10 minutes, so it can warm up a bit.
4. Unroll the puff pastry dough – the shorter side should be in front of you. Place about 1/4 of the fake “sausage” filling along the edge of the puff pastry sheet. Roll up tight to enclose the filling and create a roll. Cut along the roll into the puff pastry sheet to separate the roll from the rest – the filling should be wrapped completely and the edges of the puff pastry should overlap only slightly in that roll. Repeat the process until all the filling is used – I got four rolls all in all. Cut these rolls into 4-5 pieces each with a sharp knife and place them on the prepared baking sheet with the seam side down and some space in between.
5. For the “egg wash” mix the oat milk with maple syrup and olive oil and brush each sausage roll with it. Sprinkle with “everything bagel” seasoning or plain black sesame seeds and bake for 25-30 minutes. The sausage rolls should have puffed up nicely with a nice golden color. Take out of the oven and let cool down slightly before serving with your favorite (vegan) dipping sauce.
Keywords: sausage rolls, fake meat. snack, party, buffet, vegan, vegetarian