Delicious quiche with green and white asparagus, potatoes, ham and a homemade Sauce Hollandaise. Nothing better out there!
For the dough
- 1 3/4 cups (230g) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup (120g) cold butter
- 1 medium egg
- 1–2 tbsp. cold milk
For the topping
- 16 oz. (450g) floury potatoes
- about 14 oz. (400g) white asparagus (thin stalks)
- about 14 oz. (400g) green asparagus (thin stalks)
- 3.5 oz. (100g) cooked ham
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup (120ml) milk
- 1/2 cup (120g) sour cream
- 1.8 oz. (50g parmesan cheese, ground
- salt, pepper, nutmeg
For the sauce hollandaise
- 1/2 cup (120g) butter
- 3 medium egg yolks
- 1 tbsp. water
- 3 tbsp. white wine
- salt, pepper
- some lemon juice
- Mix the flour with salt in a large bowl. Add the cold butter in small pieces and cut with a pastry blender into pea-size pieces. Mix the egg with one tablespoon milk and add to the bowl. Mix everything with your fingers until the dough starts coming together – add some more milk if it is too dry. Press the dough together and flatten, wrap in plastic wrap and place in the fridge for at least 1 hour.
- While the dough is cooling, cook the potatoes in some salt water until cooked (takes about 20 minutes). Take off the heat, let some cold water run over it, then peel and mash with a fork. Set aside. Wash the asparagus, cut off the dry ends and peel the white asparagus. Add to a pot with boiling salt water and let cook for 5-6 minutes. The asparagus should be a bit soft, but not completely cooked through. Take out and let some cold water run over it. Let drain. Cut the asparagus lengthwise in half. Cut the cooked ham into strips.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Grease a 9.5 inches (24cm) tart tin with loose bottom lightly and set aside. Roll out the dough on a floured surface slightly larger than the tin. Transfer to the tin and press the dough to the bottom and sides, cut off the overlapping dough. Prick the base several times with a fork. Add the mashed potatoes on top of the dough and shape into an even layer. Add the asparagus on top by forming a spiral that starts on the outside going in. Alternate the white and green asparagus and add some cooked ham between. Mix the eggs with the milk, sour cream and half of the parmesan cheese, season with salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Pour on top of the asparagus so everything is covered. Season with some more salt and pepper and sprinkle the remaining cheese. Place in the lower third of the oven and bake for 40-45 minutes or until the top gets some nice color. Take out of the oven and let cool down a bit.
- Melt the butter for the sauce hollandaise and let cool down a bit. Mix the egg yolks in a heatproof bowl with one tablespoon of water until foamy. Add the white wine while still mixing, then place on a pot with simmering water and continue mixing until the mixture turns into a creamy sauce. Take off the heat and add the melted butter drop by drop first, still mixing, then in a steady stream, mixing until you get a thick and creamy sauce. Season with some salt, pepper and lemon juice. Serve the quiche warm with the sauce hollandaise.
- Enjoy baking!
- Serving Size: 10