Delicious All-American pie with sour cherries and blueberries – the perfect pie to celebrate Independence Day.
For the dough:
2 cups (260g) all-purpose flour
1 tbsp. sugar
pinch of salt
5.3 oz. (150g) cold butter
1 medium egg
1 tbsp. limoncello liquor
For the cherry filling:
32 oz. (900) fresh sour cherries, washed and pitted
1 cup (200g) sugar
1 oz. (30g) cornstarch
1/4 cup (60ml) water (or cherry juice)
2 tbsp. lemon juice
2 tbsp. limoncello liquor
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
For the blueberry filling:
10 oz. (280g) fresh blueberries (or frozen and thawed)
2 tbsp. sugar
0.5 oz. (15g) cornstarch
1 medium egg yolk for brushing
1. Add the flour, sugar, and salt for the dough to a large bowl and mix until well combined. Add the cold butter in small cubes and cut with a pastry blender* into pea-sized pieces. Add the egg and limoncello and mix in. Knead until the dough starts coming together – try not to overwork it. Divide the dough into roughly 2/3 and 1/3, shape into balls, flatten and wrap separately in plastic wrap. Place in the fridge for about 1 hour.
2. While the dough is chilling prepare the cherry filling. Wash, dry and pit the cherries. Try to save all the juices. Add the sugar, cornstarch, water (or cherry juice), lemon juice, limoncello, and vanilla extract to large pot and mix until there are no more cornstarch lumps. Heat up and bring to a boil, then add the pitted cherries and let simmer over medium heat for about 8-10 minutes. The cherries should be soft but not mushy and the liquid in the pot should have thickened. Take off the heat and let cool down.
3. Grease a 9 inches (23cm) pie dish lightly and set aside. Roll out the larger dough portion slightly larger than the pie dish, transfer to the dish and press to the bottom and sides. Cut off overlapping dough, but keep a small border. Prick several times with a fork and place in the fridge until needed. Roll out the remaining dough and cut out strips and stars. Set aside.
4. For the blueberry filling add the blueberries to a bowl, mix the sugar with the cornstarch and add to the bowl – mix to combine, then set aside.
5. Preheat the oven to 390°F (200°C). Use a strip of aluminum foil to create a barrier, place in the pie crust to divide the crust into 1/3 and 2/3 sections. Spoon blueberry mixture into the 1/3 section of the pie crust. Add the cherry filling to the other section, then carefully remove the barrier. Place the dough strips on top of the cherry filling and the starts on top of the blueberry filling (and if you like all around the pie). Mix the egg yolk with some water and brush the stars and strips with it. Cover the edges of the pie loosely with aluminum foil and place in the lower part of the oven. Bake for about 25 Minutes, then remove the foil and bake another 20-30 minutes or until the crust has a nice color and the filling is bubbling. Take out of the oven and let cool down for several hours before serving.
Keywords: sour cherry, blueberry, pie, American flag