For the cupcakes
- 1/2 cup (60g) cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup (100ml) strong coffee, boiling
- 1/2 cup (120ml) buttermilk, room temperature
- 1 1/3 cup (175g) cake flour
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 3/4 cup (170g) butter
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup (200g) sugar
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
For the chocolate frosting
- 1/2 cup (60g) cocoa powder, sifted
- 1 1/2 cups (260g) confectioner’s sugar, sifted
- 1/2 cup (110g) butter, room temperature
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup (50g) whipping cream
- Preheat the oven to 350˚F (175°C). Line cupcake pans with paper liners and set aside.
- Sift cocoa powder in a bowl. Mix in coffee an buttermilk and let cool. In another bowl mix cake flour, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl beat the butter until light and fluffy. Add the sugar and beat till light and fluffy, for another 4-5 minutes. Add vanilla extract. Mix in the eggs, one at a time, beating for a minute each time. Pour in the cocoa mixture and mix until well combined. Gently fold in the flour mix – do not over mix. Fill the paper liners and bake for 8-10 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool on a wire rack completely before frosting.
- For the frosting sift cocoa and confectioner’s sugar in a large bowl. Add the butter and vanilla extract and beat on low speed first to incorporate all the ingredients and then increase the speed to high and beat for 4-5 minutes. Add whipping cream a tablespoon at a time till desired thickness. Check the sweetness and sift in more confectioners sugar if required. Frost the cupcakes.
- Enjoy baking!