- 2 1/8 cups (275g) all-purpose flour
- 3.5 fl oz. (100ml) milk, lukewarm
- 0.5 oz (15g) fresh yeast
- 2 tbsp. sugar
- 1/8 cup (30g) butter, at room temperature
- 1 egg, medium
- pinch of ground saffron
- pinch of salt
- 1 egg yolk
- Sift the flour into a large bowl. Make a hole in the middle, add the milk and yeast and mix until the yeast has dissolved mostly. Let rise for 10 minutes in a warm place.
- Add sugar, butter, egg, saffron and salt to the bowl and mix. Knead until you get a nice smooth dough. Cover with a kitchen towel and let rise in a warm place for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 390˚F (200°C). Prepare a baking sheet with baking parchment and set aside.
- Knead the dough again and cut in half. Use one half of the dough to form 10 small balls (size of a hazelnut) and 10 strings (about 6 inches long). Make 10 balls out of the second half of the dough. Swirl the strings around the small balls. Cut the larger balls with a knife (or scissor) to form a bunny head with ears. Place the bodies and heads of the bunnies on the baking sheet and assemble. Cover with a kitchen towel and let rise for another 15 minutes.
- Whisk the egg yolk with some water and brush the bunnies with the mix. Bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes. Take out of the oven and let cool down completely on a wire rack.
- Happy Easter!