Loads of veggies and legumes meet and have a party in this delicious Vegan Coconut Butternut Pumpkin Legumes Kale Stew. Perfect for the colder season!
5.3 oz. (150g) mixed legumes* (e.g. lentils, small beans, etc.) https://amzn.to/32eLQ8x
some olive oil for frying
1 large onion, chopped
3–4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 piece of ginger (about 2 inches / 5cm), grated
2 tsp. garam masala
1 1/2 tsp. turmeric
1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
1 small butternut pumpkin (26 oz./ 750g), peeled and diced
3 cups (750ml) vegetable broth
14 oz. (400g) coconut milk
2–3 stalks of kale, chopped
some fresh coriander, chopped
1. Start the night before and let the mixed legumes soak 8-12 hours in water. Use a mix that will be cooked through within 30 minutes (e.g. lentils, small beans). Drain well before using.
2. Prepare the veggies by peeling and chopping the onion and garlic. Peel the ginger and grate finely. Peel the pumpkin, remove seeds, and cut into bite-size dices. Set aside.
3. Heat up a large pot, add the oil and fry the chopped onions until translucent and soft – for about 3-4 minutes. Add the garlic, ginger, and the drained legumes and fry for a minute or two. Add the garam masala, turmeric, and cayenne pepper, mix well and continue cooking for another 2 minutes. Add the butternut and cook another minute or so. Deglaze with the veggie stock, season with salt and pepper, and let cook over medium-low heat for about 25 minutes.
4. While the stew is cooking, wash the kale thoroughly, dry, remove the thick stems, and cut into bite-sized pieces. Wash, dry, and chop the coriander. Set aside.
5. Add the coconut milk and chopped kale to the pot and continue cooking for about 5 minutes. The pumpkin and legumes should be soft but not mushy. Add the chopped coriander, season with chili flakes and more salt, and pepper to your liking. Serve immediately.
Keywords: vegan, stew, pumpkin, coconut, kale, legumes