Delicious veggie pie with beetroot, carrots, pumpkin and much more.
For the pie crust
- 1 1/2 cups (200g) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. sugar
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- some ground white pepper
- 1/2 cup (110g) cold butter
- 1/4 cup (60ml) ice water
- 1/2 tsp. vinegar
For the filling
- 18 oz. (500g) hokkaido or butternut pumpkin
- 7 oz. (200g) carrots
- 7 oz. (200g) Brussels sprouts
- 7 oz. (200g) red beet
- 3–4 tbsp. olive oil
- salt, pepper, Tabasco sauce or cayenne pepper
- 7 oz. (200g) mushrooms
- 1 small red onion
- 1–2 garlic cloves
- 1/4 cup (60g) butter
- 1/2 cup (60g) all-purpose flour
- 1 2/3 cups (400ml) milk
- 1 tsp. instant vegetable broth
- 3.5 oz. (100g) corn
- 2 medium eggs
- Add the flour, sugar, salt, and pepper for the dough to a large bowl and mix. Add the cold butter in small pieces and cut with a pastry cutter into pea-size pieces. Mix the ice water with vinegar and gradually add to the dough. Mix in with your fingers until the dough starts coming together. Make sure the dough is not too wet or it will be very tough when baked – we want it nice and flaky. Form a ball, flatten a bit and wrap in plastic wrap and place in the fridge for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 390°F (200°C). Line a baking sheet with baking parchment and set aside. Wash the pumpkin, remove the seeds and cut about 18 oz. of it into dices. Wash the carrots as well and cut into slices. Clean the Brussels sprouts (removing the outer leaves), remove the stem and cut in half. Peel the beetroot (use gloves or you will end up with red hands) and cut into dices as well. Add all veggies to a large bowl, mix with the olive oil and season with salt, pepper, Tabasco, and/or cayenne pepper. Spread evenly on the prepared baking sheet and bake for 25-30 minutes until cooked nicely. Take out of the oven, but do not turn off the oven.
- While the veggies are still in the oven, clean the mushrooms and cut into dices. Peel the onion and garlic and cut into fine dices. Add the butter to a large pan and heat up. Add the mushrooms, onion, and garlic and fry until nice and glossy but not burned. Add the flour to the pan and mix in. Let cook/fry for a moment, then add the milk and vegetable broth and stir until you get a smooth mixture that starts to thicken. Add the corn, season with some salt and pepper and take off the heat and let cool down a bit.
- Grease a 9 inches (23cm) pie dish and set aside. Roll out the dough on a floured surface slightly larger than the pie dish, transfer to the form and press to the bottom and sides. Tuck in overlapping dough and create a nice edge. Set aside.
- Add the eggs to the cooled mushroom-corn-mixture and mix in. Add the cooled veggies from the oven as well and mix everything until well combined. Fill into the prepared pie crust and bake for 40-45 minutes. If the top gets too dark, cover up with some aluminum foil. Take the pie out of the oven, let cool down a bit. Serve still warm with some sour cream with herbs or similar.
- Enjoy baking!
- Serving Size: 9