For the buttercream
- 1 1/2 cups (360ml) rice or almond milk
- 1/2 cup (100g) sugar
- 3 tbsp. (25g) cornstarch
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup (230g) vegan butter (margarine)
- pinch of salt
For the cupcakes
- 1 1/2 cups (200g) all-purpose flour
- 3 tbsp. cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 3/4 cup (150g) sugar
- 2 chia eggs*
- 3/4 cup (180ml) vegetable oil
- 1 ripe avocado, mashed
- 2/3 cup (160ml) rice or almond milk
- * For the 2 chia eggs mix 10g of ground chia seeds with 90ml of water and let soak for about 10 minutes
- Start with the pudding for the buttercream. Add the sugar, cornstarch and vanilla extract to a small bowl and mix with 5-6 tablespoons of the rice/almond milk until well combined. Add the remaining milk to a saucepan and bring to a boil. Mix in the cornstarch mixture and let cook for a moment so the pudding can thicken. Take from the heat and let cool down a bit. Take a piece of plastic wrap and place it directly on the pudding – there should me no air between the pudding and the plastic wrap. This is how you prevent the pudding to get a skin. Make sure the plastic wrap can take the heat or it will melt. Let the pudding cool down for 2 hours or over night. You can also place it in the fridge for some time, when it is not warm anymore.
- Preheat the oven to 350˚F (175°C). Line a muffin tin with paper liners and set aside. In a bowl mix flour with cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside. Mix the ground chia seeds with the water and let soak for about 10 minutes to get the chia eggs.
- In a large bowl mix the sugar with the chia eggs until well combined – about 3-4 minutes. While still mixing (on medium speed), add the oil in a slow and steady stream and mix until well combined. Add the mashed avocado and mix. Add the flour mix alternating with the rice/almond milk in three portions. Mix until just combined. Fill the paper liners 2/3 full and bake for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Take out of the oven and let cool down in the tin for about 5 minutes and then completely on a wire rack.
- Add the vegan butter with a pinch of salt to a large bowl and beat on high speed until light and fluffy – for about 4-5 minutes. Reduce the speed a bit and add the pudding one tablespoon at a time and mix every time until well combined. When all of the pudding is added, mix for 2-3 minutes more until light and fluffy. Fill into a piping bag and decorate each cupcake with a swirl of the buttercream. Dust with cocoa powder if you like.
- Enjoy baking!