Delicious French Classic – Tarte au citron! Perfect combination of sweet and sour!
For the crust
- 1 1/3 cup (175g) all-purpose flour
- 1/5 cup (25g) confectioner’s sugar
- 1/2 cup (100g) cold butter
- 1 egg yolk
- 1–2 tbsp. ice water (maybe you need more)
For the filling
- 5 eggs
- 4.4 oz. (125g) double cream (or mascarpone and heavy cream 1:1)
- 1 cup + 2 tbsp. (225g) sugar
- zest of 4 organic lemons
- 2/3 cup (150ml) lemon juice
- confectioner’s sugar for dusting
- For the pastry mix flour and confectioner’s sugar in a large bowl. Add the cold butter and cut with a pastry cutter into small pieces. Add the egg yolk and one tablespoon of the ice water. Use your hands to form a nice ball of dough. Add some more water if the crumbs are not coming together. Wrap in plastic wrap and place in the fridge for at least. 15 minutes.
- Grease a 10 inch (26cm) springform tin with a loose bottom and set aside. Roll out the dough and transfer to the springform tin – the dough should overlap the edges a bit. Prick several times with a fork and place in the fridge for another 20-30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 390°F (200°C). Blind bake the crust for 12-15 minutes. Take out of the oven and carefully trim the edges with a sharp knife. Place in the oven again and let bake for another 10-12 minutes until slightly golden in color. Take out of the oven and let cool down a bit. Reduce the temperature to a 350°F (175°C).
- For the filling mix eggs and sugar in a large bowl until well combined. Add crème double (or mascarpone and heavy cream), lemon zest and juice and mix until well combined. Fill half of the mixture into the crust and place the tin on the oven and fill in the rest – just to make sure you don’t spill anything. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until just set and a slight wobble in the center. Take out of the oven and let cool down. Serve warm or cold – dust with confectioner’s sugar before serving.
- Enjoy baking!
- Serving Size: 12