Delicious swirl bread with a rhubarb-strawberry-almond filling. Perfect for breakfast or brunch!
For the dough
- 3 cups (360g) all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp. active dry yeast
- 3 tbsp. sugar
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/3 cup (80ml) milk
- 1/4 cup (60ml) hot water
- 2 oz. (60g) butter, melted and cooled slightly
- 1 egg
For the filling
- 7 oz. (200g) rhubarb, diced
- 3–4 medium strawberries, diced
- 1/2 cup (100g) sugar
- 1/4 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1.7 oz. (50g) almond paste or marzipan, diced finely
For the decoration
- 1 egg yolk
- some water
- 1 tbsp. slivered almonds
- Melt the butter and let cool down again. Add the flour, dry yeast, sugar and salt to a large bowl and mix until well combined. Mix the hot water with the milk and add together with the egg and melted butter to the bowl with the flour and knead for about 8 minutes (with the food processor or by hand) to get a nice smooth dough. Cover with a kitchen towel and let rise in a warm place for about 1 – 1 1/2 hours until doubled in size.
- While the dough is rising, peel the rhubarb for the filling and cut into small dices. Wash the strawberries and cut into dices aswell. Add together with the sugar and vanilla extract to a small saucepan and cook until softened. Drain and set aside, keep the liquid in the saucepan and cook couple minutes more until you get a thick syrup. Add the almond paste or marzipan and drained rhubarb/strawberries and mix well. Set aside to cool down.
- Grease a 9×5 inches (22x12cm) loaf pan (or line with parchment paper) and set aside. Roll out the dough on a floured surface to a rectangle of about 12×18 inches (30x45cm). Spread the filling evenly on top of the dough all the way to the edges and roll up tightly from the longer side. Cut this long roll lengthwise in half so you can see the layers of dough and filling. Braid those two strings and twist them, so you can see the layers and filling. Place in the prepared loaf pan and cover, let rise again for about 45-60 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C). Mix the egg yolk with some water and brush the loaf with it. Sprinkle with the slivered almonds and bake for 35-45 minutes until baked and golden brown. Let cool down in the pan for about 15 minutes, then remove and let cool down completely on a wire rack .
- Enjoy baking!
- Serving Size: 10