A simple and easy super chocolaty chocolate cake (without flour). The perfect surprise for Valentine’s Day or for mom on Mother’s Day ;)
7 oz. (200g) semi-sweet chocolate (60%), chopped
3.5 oz. (100g) butter
6 medium eggs, separated
1 oz. (30g) cocoa powder
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/4 tsp. salt
3/4 cup (150g) sugar
whipped cream & fresh fruit/berries for decoration
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Place an (adjustable) heart-shaped baking frame* on a baking sheet lined with baking parchment. Add a strip of baking parchment inside the frame as well so the cake can rise without the risk of overflowing the frame. This type of cake rises a lot in the oven. A little fat/baking spray should keep everything in place. Set aside.
2. Roughly chop the chocolate and melt together with the butter in a microwave-safe bowl in the microwave. Mix well and let cool down a bit.
3. Separate the eggs. Mix the egg yolks with the cocoa, vanilla extract, and salt in a large bowl. Add the slightly cooled melted chocolate and mix until well combined.
4. Whisk the egg whites in a tall bowl/container until (almost) stiff peaks form, then slowly add the sugar and continue whisking until you get a thick and glossy meringue. Gradually add the meringue to the bowl with the chocolate and fold in. Be very careful – you want to keep as much volume as possible from the meringue. Make sure though you can’t see any white streaks in the batter, you only want chocolate visible ;)
5. Pour the batter into the prepared baking frame and spread evenly. Place in the middle of the oven and bake for about 28-30 minutes – or until the cake is set and moving only slightly in the center when you tap the baking frame or baking sheet. Take out of the oven and let cool down as it is for several minutes, then carefully run a knife around the cake to loosen it from the baking parchment. Let cool down a bit longer. As soon as the cake is stable enough to be moved, carefully place it on a serving plate and then decorate with whipped cream and fresh fruit or berries (to your liking) before serving.
The surface of the cake will probably crack when you transfer it to a serving plate. Those cracks can be easily covered with the whipped cream ;P
Keywords: chocolate, cake, gluten-free, flour-free, Valentine's Day, Mother's Day