Easy to prepare and delicious apple cake – enough to feed the whole family and friends… and maybe the neighbors ;)
For the batter
- 8.8 oz. (250g) butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup (200g) sugar
- 5 medium eggs
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cups (230g) all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup (100g) cornstarch
- 1 tbsp. baking powder
- 1 tbsp. milk
For the topping
- 42 oz. (1,2 kg) apples (e.g. Jonagold)
- 3–4 tbsp. lemon juice
- 2 tbsp. brown sugar
- 1.8 oz. (50g) slivered almonds
- confectioners’ sugar for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Line a baking sheet (13×15 inches /32x39cm) with a high rim with baking parchment or grease and dust with flour. Set aside.
- Peel the apples, quarter and core. Cut into thick slices and then drizzle with the lemon juice so they won’t brown. Set aside.
- Beat the butter with sugar and salt in a large bowl on high speed until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one after another and mix well after each addition. Add the vanilla extract and mix in. Mix the flour with cornstarch and baking powder, add together with the milk to the bowl and mix until just combined. Spread the batter on the baking sheet to get an even layer. Place the apples close to each other on top of the batter, sprinkle with the brown sugar and slivered almonds and bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Take out of the oven and let cool down. Dust with confectioners’ sugar and serve with some vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.
- Enjoy baking!
- Serving Size: 12