Delicious and sweet braided loaf for your Easter brunch made with a pistachio filling and espresso glaze. Great combination!
For the dough:
1 1/4 cups (300ml) lukewarm milk
0.74 oz. (21g) fresh yeast
1/4 cup (50g) sugar
17.6 oz. (500g) all-purpose flour (plus more if needed)
pinch of REWE Feine Welt fleur de sel
2.1 oz. (60g) butter, softened
1 medium egg
For the filling:
7 oz. (200g) REWE Feine Welt pistachio cream
1.7 oz. (50g) butter, softened
1/4 cup (50g) sugar
1 oz. (30g) pistachios, chopped
1 tbsp. espresso (e.g. made with REWE Feine Welt Chanchamayo espresso)
For the glaze/decoration:
3.5 oz. (100g) confectioners’ sugar
2-3 tbsp. espresso (e.g. made with REWE Feine Welt Chanchamayo espresso)
1-2 tbsp. pistachios, chopped
1. Warm up the milk for the dough until lukewarm (about 97°F/36°C) and add to a large mixing bowl. Crumble the yeast and add together with 1 tablespoon of the sugar – mix until the yeast has dissolved. Cover with a kitchen towel and let bubble for about 10 Minutes.
2. Add the remaining sugar, Flour, Salt, soft butter, and the egg and knead for about 8 minutes until you get a nice smooth dough. If the dough is still sticky and not coming off the sides of the bowl, add some more flour. Form a ball and cover the bowl with a kitchen towel and let the dough rise for about 60-75 minutes in a warm place until double in size.
3. For the filling/glaze brew some espresso. Mix the pistachio cream with soft butter, and sugar until well combined. Add the chopped pistachios and 1 tablespoon espresso and mix in. Set aside until needed. Keep the remaining espresso for the glaze.
4. When the dough has risen enough, place on a floured surface and knock out the air (do not knead it). Roll out to a rectangle of about 18×14 inches. Spread the filling all over the dough and roll up from the longer side of the rectangle to get one large log. Cut that log lengthwise in half (so you can see the layers of filling) and twist/braid those two stings. The filling should be visible on top. Shape into a wreath/large donut and place on a baking sheet lined with baking parchment or a large greased baking tin. Cover and let rise a second time for about 20-25 minutes.
5. While the yeast wreath is rising preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Place the baking sheet or baking tin in the middle of the oven and bake for 30-35 minutes until the wreath is golden brown. Take out and let cool down completely on a wire rack.
6. For the glaze mix the confectioners sugar with the espresso until you get a nice thick glaze. Glaze the cooled wreath and sprinkle with some chopped pistachios.
Keywords: braided, loaf, pistachio, easter, brunch