For the cupcakes
- 9 oz. (250g) damson plums
- 3.5 oz. (100g) plum jam
- 1/2 cup (120g) butter, melted
- 2 cups (250g) all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup (50g) ground hazelnuts
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 2/3 cup (125g) sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- 1/3 cup (75ml) soy milk vanilla flavor (or regular milk)
For the meringue topping
- 2 egg whites
- 1/3 cup (75g) sugar
- ground cinnamon (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350˚F (175°C). Line a muffin tin with 12 paper liners and set aside.
- Wash and dry the damson plums. Remove the stone and cut into small pieces. Mix with the plum jam and set aside. In a medium sized bowl mix the flour with baking powder and ground hazelnuts. Set aside. Separate two eggs and let the egg whites chill in the fridge.
- Melt the butter. In a large bowl add the butter, sugar, vanilla extract and salt and mix. Add the egg yolks and the two eggs and mix all well until light and fluffy.
- Fold in the flour mix until just incorporated – if you mix too much, the result is a heavy and dense muffin. Gently fold in the damson plum pieces. Fill the paper liners 2/3 full and let bake for 15-20 minutes.
- In a clean (fat free) bowl add the two egg whites and beat on high speed. Slowly add the sugar and beat until the sugar has dissolved completely and stiff peaks form. Transfer into a piping bag with a star tip.
- When the muffins are done, take them out of the oven and immediately pipe a swirl of beaten egg whites on top. Put back into the oven and bake for another 5 minutes. Take out of the oven and let cool on a cooling rack. If the meringue did not brown enough at the edges, you can use a blowtorch to darken that parts – but be careful – the meringue burns easily. Dust with ground cinnamon (optional).
- Enjoy baking!