Delicious braided loaf with a coconut pudding filling – perfection in a loaf shape.
For the dough:
7 oz. (200ml) milk
2.8 oz. (80g) butter
0.7 oz. (21g) fresh yeast
17.6 oz. (500g) all-purpose flour
1/4 cup (50g) sugar
pinch of REWE Feine Welt fleur de sel
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 medium egg
For the filling:
7 oz. (200g) REWE Feine Welt coconut spread
3.5 oz. (100g) REWE Feine Welt Crème à la Vanille
1 egg yolk plus some water for brushing
1 tbsp. coarse sugar
1. Add the milk and butter to a microwave-save bowl and warm up until the butter has melted – mix with the milk and let cool down until only lukewarm. Add the fresh yeast and mix until dissolved. Let bubble for about 8 minutes.
2. Add the flour, sugar, and fleur de sel to a large bowl and mix until well combined. Add the yeast milk, vanilla extract, and egg and knead for about 10 minutes to get a nice smooth dough. If the dough is too sticky, add some more flour. Shape into a ball and cover with a clean kitchen towel and let rise for about 1 1/2 hours in a warm place – the size should almost double.
3. For the filling mix the coconut cream and vanilla pudding dessert until well combined and set aside.
4. As soon as the dough has risen enough, place it on a floured surface, knock out the air and roll out to a rectangle of about 22×14 inches. Spread the filling on top of the dough and roll up from the longer side of the rectangle. Pull at the ends of the log you just created to stretch it a bit more, then cut in half to get to shorter logs. Line a baking sheet with baking parchment and place the two logs on that and twist several times around each other to create a nice braided loaf. Tuck the ends underneath and cover – let rise a second time for about 20 minutes.
5. Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Whisk the egg yolk with some water and brush the braided loaf with it, sprinkle with coarse sugar and bake for 35-40 minutes until golden brown. Check towards the end of the baking time and cover if it gets too dark. Take out and let cool down on a wire rack.
Keywords: braided, loaf, coconut, pudding, easter, brunch