Delicious and refreshing Blueberry Pie with Sour Cream Filling – Easy to prepare with fresh or frozen blueberries
For the crust
- 1 1/4 cups (165g) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. sugar
- 1/2 cup (115g) butter
- 1 tsp. apple cider vinegar
- up to 1/4 cup (60ml) ice water
For the streusel
- 1/2 cup (100g) sugar
- 2/3 cup (90g) all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup (60g) butter
For the filling
- 2 1/2 cups (300g) fresh wild blueberries (or frozen and thawed)
- 2 medium eggs
- 1/2 cup (125g) sour cream (schmand)
- 1 cup (200g) sugar
- 1/3 cup (45g) all-purpose flour
- zest of 1/2 lemon
- pinch of salt
- For the dough mix the water with the apple cider vinegar. Place in the fridge for some time (or add an ice cube) to cool it down. Mix the flour with salt, and sugar in a large bowl, add the cold butter in small pieces and cut with a knife or pastry blender into pea-size pieces. Add some of the cold vinegar water mix and knead quickly with your hands until the dough starts coming together – add some more water if needed. The dough should not be sticky. Wrap in plastic wrap and place in the fridge for about 45 minutes.
- While the dough is cooling, prepare the streusel by mixing the flour with the sugar in a bowl. Add the butter in small pieces and mix. Use your fingers to form streusel. Place in the fridge until needed.
- Roll out the dough on a floured surface slightly larger than a 9 inch (24cm) pie dish, then transfer to the pie dish and press to the bottom and sides. Tuck in the overlapping dough and form a nice edge. Place in the fridge for another 15 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 390°F (200°C). For the filling add the eggs to a large bowl and whip until foamy. Add the sour cream and mix until smooth. Add the sugar, flour, lemon zest, and salt and mix in until well combined. Add the blueberries and fold in. Take the prepared pie crust out of the fridge and fill with the blueberry filling, sprinkle with the streusel and bake for about 45-55 minutes or until the filling is set but still a bit jiggly in the center. Cover with some aluminum foil if the top gets too dark. Take out of the oven and let cool down completely. Serve with some whipped cream.
- Enjoy baking!
- Serving Size: 10