For the cake
- 3 cups (350g) all-purpose flour
- 3 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 6 egg whites
- 2/3 cup (150g) butter, at room temperature
- 1 3/4 cups (350g) sugar
- 1 cup (230ml) champagne (or sparkling wine)
For the frosting
- 4 cups (520g) confectioner’s sugar
- 1 1/3 cup (300g) butter, at room temperature
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3–4 tbsp. champagne (or sparkling wine), at room temperature
For the decoration
- gold powder
- edible gold foil
- Preheat the oven to 350˚F (175°C). Line three 7 inch (18cm) springform tins with baking parchment, grease and dust with flour. Set aside. Sift the flour into a bowl and mix with baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form. Set aside. Add the butter and sugar to a large bowl and mix on high speed until light and fluffy. Add the flour in two parts, alternating with the champagne/sparkling wine and mix until just combined. Add 1/2 of the egg whites to the bowl and mix in carefully. Add the remaining egg whites and fold in carefully – the batter should stay light and fluffy. Divide the batter evenly among the tins and bake for 22-26 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Run a sharp knife around the cake to loosen it from the tin and let them cool down completely on a wire rack. You can bake the cakes actually one day in advance if you like.
- For the buttercream add the butter to a large bowl and beat on high speed until light and fluffy. Sift the confectioner’s sugar on top, add vanilla extract and beat first on low speed then on high speed until light and fluffy. Add champagne/sparkling wine gradually and mix until you reach the desired consistency.
- Slice the cakes into 2-3 layers each (depends how high the cakes have risen). I cut the cake layers into smaller circles to get a cake that looks thinner and higher. Place the first cake layer on a serving plate and spread some butter cream on top. Repeat with cake and buttercream until all cake layers are used. Crumb coat the cake and place in the fridge for about 15 minutes. Finish the cake with one last layer of buttercream and decorate with gold powder and edible gold foil.
- Enjoy baking!
- Serving Size: 8