This delicious Veggie Spiral Tart is an absolute showstopper! If you like eating veggies, you will love this delicious tart with rolled-up vegetables for sure!
For the pastry:
1 1/2 cups (190g) all-purpose flour
1 pinch of salt
1/2 cup (110g) cold butter
1 tbsp. cold water
For the filling:
3.5 oz. (100g) mozzarella, in small pieces
3.5 oz (100g) Gruyère cheese, finely grated
3.5 oz. (100g) Parmesan, finely grated
7 oz. (200g) sour cream
1 tsp. salt
some smoked paprika powder
For the veggie strips:
3–4 medium zucchini (green and yellow)
1 medium eggplant
2–3 large carrots
some olive oil
1. Sift the flour into a large bowl. Add the salt and cold butter (in small pieces). Rub everything between your fingers until you get crumbles. Add the water and mix/knead to create a dough. Work quickly, so the dough does not get too warm. Wrap in plastic wrap and let the dough rest in the fridge for about 45-60 minutes.
2. Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Grease a 10-inch tart tin with loose bottom* lightly. Roll out the dough on a floured surface to a circle that is slightly larger than the tart tin. Transfer the dough to the tart tin and press to the bottom and sides. Place in the fridge for an additional 10 minutes or so.
3. Take the tart tin out of the fridge, place a piece of baking parchment on top, and fill it up with baking beans* (or a second slightly smaller baking tin) to keep the dough in place. Bake the tart crust for about 15-20 minutes – you want edges that have a slightly golden color. Take out of the oven and set aside.
4. For the filling cut the mozzarella into very small pieces (or grate coarsely). Grate the other cheeses finely and mix everything with the sour cream. Add the salt and season with the spices. If you like it hot(ter) you can also add some chili powder for some extra heat. Set aside.
5. Wash and dry the veggies. Cut them into thin strips with a vegetable slicer* or a sharp knife (I recommend the slicer). The strips should have about the same thickness and width – you might have to cut them in half or cut parts off. You will need a lot of those strips, so keep slicing. When done, place them on a plate and season them with some salt and pepper.
6. Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C). Fill the cheese & sour cream mixture into the pre-baked crust and spread evenly. On a chopping board or a large cake lifter*, start rolling up the veggies. Start with a first veggie strip and roll it up tightly, then wrap more veggie strips around that – alternating the different veggies to create a nice color pattern. The carrots strips will be the toughest to work with because they are less flexible than the zucchini or eggplant strips. Continue wrapping’ n ’rolling until you got one big roll in the size of your tart tin (roughly). Carefully let the big veggie roll slide down the board or cake lifter onto the cheese filling inside the tart crust – a helping hand might be good here to get everything in the right place. Add more veggie strips around the edges if there are gaps and press everything a bit down into the filling. Season with some more salt and pepper and brush with olive oil. Bake for about 40-50 minutes in the preheated oven. If your veggies are getting a bit too dark, cover them with some aluminum foil or baking parchment and continue baking. Serve warm with a sour cream dip, for example.
Make something amazing in the kitchen!
Keywords: tart, vegetables, spiral, zucchini, eggplant, carrot, dinner