Delicious vegan sweet treat: Vegan Chocolate Coconut Cream Pie. Chilled not only in summer a blast!
For the crust:
1 1/2 cups (200g) all-purpose flour
1 tsp. sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 cup (60g) vegan butter, cold
1/4 cup (60g) vegetable shortening, cold
3-4 tbsp. ice water
For the chocolate filling:
8.8 oz. (250g) semi-sweet chocolate (dairy-free), chopped
12 oz. (340g) silken tofu, at room temperature
2 tbsp. oats milk
1/2 cup (100g) sugar
For the topping:
14 oz. (400g) full-fat coconut cream (from the fridge)
1/2 cup (60g) confectioners’ sugar
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
some chocolate shavings
1. Add flour, sugar, and salt to a large bowl and mix until combined. Add the cold vegan butter and shortening in cubes to the bowl and cut with a pastry blender until you get pea-sized pieces. Add about 3 tablespoons of the ice water to the bowl and mix until the dough starts sticking together. If that is not happening add some more water. Knead roughly until a dough forms – work quick so the fat in the dough does not warm up. Shape into a ball, flatten and wrap in plastic wrap. Place in the fridge for about 30 minutes.
2. Grease a 9 inches (23cm) pie dish lightly and set aside. Roll out the dough on a floured surface – slightly larger than the pie dish. Transfer to the form and press to the bottom and sides to create a nice crust. Prick with a fork several times. Try to create a nice pattern around the edges. Place in the fridge for another 30 minutes.
3. Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Place a piece of baking parchment on the bottom of the pie crust and fill with baking beans or pie weights. Pre-bake the crust for about 15 minutes, then remove the beans/weights and paper and bake for another 10-15 minutes. The crust should have a light golden color. Take out of the oven and let cool down completely.
4. Chop the chocolate coarsely and add to a microwave-safe bowl. Heat up in short intervals in the microwave until melted and a smooth chocolate sauce. Let cool down again to almost room temperature. Add the silken tofu to a large bowl, add the oats milk and sugar and mix everything on high speed until smooth. Add the melted chocolate and mix until well combined. Pour the filling into the pre-baked crust, smooth out the top and place in the fridge for at least 2 hours or overnight.
5. If you want to serve the pie the same day you made it, you should place the can of coconut cream in the fridge the day before – otherwise place it in the fridge the same time the pie is cooling down, so you have cold coconut cream the next day. It has to be cold so the cream can separate from the liquid. Make sure not to shake the can. Use a cold mixing bowl. Open the coconut cream can and spoon out the thick cream on top – leave the liquid in the can. Add confectioners’ sugar and vanilla extract to the bowl and mix on high speed until all is well combined and fluffy. Top the cooled pie with it, sprinkle with some chocolate shavings and serve.
Keywords: pie, vegan, coconut, chocolate, cream, mousse