This soup is not only perfect for #veganuary – a delicious soup with (roasted) chickpeas and potatoes. Packed with flavors and so good! Family favorite!
For the roasted chickpeas:
1 can (14 oz./400g) of chickpeas, drained
1–2 tbsp. olive oil
1 tsp. paprika powder
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. dried oregano
For the soup:
some oil for frying
1 large onion, finely diced
3 garlic cloves, finely diced
1 medium carrot, diced
1 piece of knob celery, grated
1 can (14 oz./400g) of chickpeas
3 cups (750ml) vegetable broth
10.6 oz. (300g) new potatoes, quartered
1 tsp. dried oregano
1/2 tsp. dried thyme
some chili flakes
some fresh chopped parsley for serving
1. Preheat the oven to 390°F (200°C). Line a baking sheet with baking parchment. Drain the chickpeas (first can) and add to a bowl. Add the oil, paprika powder, garlic powder, and oregano. Season well with salt and pepper and mix everything well. Spread evenly on the baking sheet and set aside.
2. Peel the onion and garlic and dice finely. Clean the carrot and dice, peel the knob celery and grate it coarsely. Clean the potatoes, peel them if you want (or not), and quarter them. Set aside.
3. Add some oil to a large (cast iron) pot or Dutch oven and heat up. Add the diced onion and sauté until soft and glossy – about 3-4 minutes. Next add the garlic, carrots, and grated celery and cook for another 3-4 minutes until the carrots are a bit softer. Add the chickpeas (second can) including the liquid and let everything come to a boil. Add the veggie broth and potatoes. Season with the dried oregano, thyme, chili flakes (to your liking), as well as salt and pepper. As soon as the soup starts boiling again, reduce the heat, cover, and let simmer for about 25-30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. While the soup is cooking, you can toast the chickpeas in the oven until crispy – mine took about 20 minutes on the middle rack to get a nice color. Flip occasionally to get even browning.
5. Use an immersion blender or potato masher to purée/mash some of the chickpeas and potatoes in order to get a thicker consistency. Season with some more salt and pepper if needed and serve with some chopped parsley.
Keywords: soup, chickpeas, potatoes, garlic, vegan, vegetarian