Delicious classic German Christmas sandwich cookies with a layer of jam in the middle.
- 2/3 cup (150g) butter
- 2/3 cup (75g) confectioner’s sugar
- 1 3/4 cups (225g) all-purpose flour
- 1 egg yolk
- pinch of salt
- 1 jar (12 oz.) raspberry jam
- In a large bowl mix the butter in small pieces, confectioner’s sugar, flour, egg yolk and salt and knead first with a handheld mixer or food processor and then with your hands until you get a nice smooth dough. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and let rest for 30 minutes in the fridge.
- Preheat the oven to 350˚F (175°C). Line several baking sheets with baking parchment. Cut the dough in half and roll out on a floured surface to a thickness of 0.08 inch (2mm). Use round cookie cutter (or a glass) with a diameter of 2.4 inches (6cm) and cut out cookies. Use a smaller cookie cutter to make a hole or heart in half of those cookies. Place the cookies on the baking sheets and knead the remaining dough again and cut out more cookies.
- Place one baking sheet at a time in the oven and bake for about 10 minutes. Let the cookies cool down a bit on a wire rack.
- Add the raspberry jam to a saucepan and bring to a boil. Force through a sieve and let cool down for about 5 minutes. Place a small amount of jam (about a teaspoon) on the cookies with no hole and place a cookie with hole on top. Dust with confectioner’s sugar and let cool/dry for an hour on a wire rack. Store in a tin box without any other christmas cookies – separate the cookies with sandwich paper.
- Enjoy baking!