Delicious pull-apart bread with salami and cheese that fits perfect for a brunch or your next bbq with friends and family.
For the dough:
7 oz. (200ml) milk
2 1/2 tsp. active dry yeast
1 tsp. sugar
3 cups (360g) all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. REWE Feine Welt fleur de sel
1/4 cup (60g) butter, softened
1 medium egg yolk
For the filling:
2 tbsp. melted butter
2 tsp. dijon mustard
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. onion powder
pinch of REWE Feine Welt fleur de sel
1 scallion, sliced
3.5 oz. (100g) REWE Feine Welt Tyrolean mountain cheese, grated
3.5 oz. (100g) mozzarella cheese, grated
2 tsp. black/white sesame seeds
2.8 oz. (80g) REWE Feine Welt Salami Ciatore
1. Warm up the milk until lukewarm (either in the microwave or in a pot on the stove). Add the dry yeast and sugar and mix until well combined. Let sit for about 10 minutes so the yeast can bubble up.
2. Add the flour, salt, butter, egg yolk, and yeast-milk to a large mixing bowl and knead about 10 minutes until you get a nice smooth dough. If the dough is too sticky, add some more flour. Cover the bowl and let the dough rise in a warm place for 1 1/2-2 hours – the volume should almost double.
3. For the filling melt the butter and mix with the dijon mustard, garlic powder, onion powder, and salt and set aside. Slice the scallions finely and set aside. Grate the cheeses and set aside.
4. Grease or line a 9×5 inches (23x5cm) loaf pan with baking parchment and set aside. Place the dough on a floured surface and knock out the air. Roll out to a rectangle of about 12×18 inches (30x45cm). Spread the butter-mustard filling on top of the dough, sprinkle with the cheeses, scallions, and sesame seeds. Place the thinly cut salami evenly all over the dough, then roll up tight starting on one of the longer sides to get a long log – try to keep everything in place. Cut that log lengthwise in half (so you can see the layers) and twist the two strips you created around each other several times. Place the braid in the prepared loaf pan, cover with a kitchen towel and let rise a second time for about 20-25 minutes.
5. Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Place the loaf pan in the middle of the oven and bake for about 45-50 minutes until golden brown. If the top gets too dark, cover with some aluminum foil. Take out of the oven and let cool down in the pan for about 15 Minutes, then remove and let cool down completely on a wire rack.