Easy and fast recipe for scones – made with delicious rhubarb and vanilla. Grab a pot of coffee and enjoy!
For the dough:
5.3 oz. (150g) fresh rhubarb
1 tbsp. sugar
2 cups (260g) all-purpose flour
3/4 tbsp. baking powder
1/4 cup (50g) sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
zest of 1 organic orange
1/3 cup (75g) cold butter
3/4 cup (170g) heavy cream
1 large egg
1 tsp. vanilla extract
For the glaze:
1 cup (130g) confectioner’s sugar
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1-2 tbsp. milk
1. Preheat the oven to 390˚F (200°C). Line a baking sheet with baking parchment. Set aside. Wash the rhubarb (peel if needed) and cut into small pieces. Mix with one tablespoon sugar and set aside.
2. In a large bowl combine flour, baking powder, sugar, salt, and the zest of the orange. Add the butter in small pieces and rub everything with your fingers, until the butter is incorporated and you have small crumbs.
3. In a small bowl mix heavy cream, egg, and vanilla extract until combined. Add to the bowl with the flour mixture and mix with a wooden spoon until everything comes together. Add the rhubarb and fold in. If the dough is too sticky, add some more flour.
4. Transfer the dough to a floured surface and flatten so you get a disk with a thickness of about 1 inch (2,5cm). Cut into 8 triangles and place on the prepared baking sheet. Bake in the oven for 15-18 minutes – the scones should have a nice golden crust. Let cool down completely on a wire rack.
5. For the glaze whisk together confectioner’s sugar, vanilla extract, and milk – start with one tablespoon and add more, if the glaze is too thick. Drizzle over scones and let dry.
Keywords: rhubarb, vanilla, scones