For the dough
- 2/3 cup (160ml) milk
- 0.75 oz. (21g) fresh yeast
- 1 tsp. brown sugar
- 2 1/3 cup (300g) all-purpose flour
- 3 tbsp. (40g) Arla Kærgården® or butter
- 1/2 tsp. salt
For the filling
- 3–4 tbsp. of green or red pesto
- 1.75 oz. (50g) grated cheese
- plus 1 egg yolk for brushing the loa
- Add the lukewarm milk, yeast and bown sugar to a large bowl and mix with a wooden spoon until the yeast has dissolved. Add flour, the spreadable fat and salt and knead 4-5 minutes until you get a nice smooth dough. Form a ball, place in the bowl and cover with a kitchen towel and let rise in a warm place for about 1 hour.
- Line a baking sheet with baking parchment and set aside. Roll out the dough on a floured surface to a 16×8 inches (40x20cm) rectangle. Cut in half to get two squares. Spread the pesto on top, sprinkle with cheese – leave some space on one edge and roll up to that side. Cut that rolls lengthwise in half and lay one string over the other to get a braided loaf and place on the baking sheet. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and let rise for about 20-25 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350˚F (180°C). Whisk the egg yolk with some water and brush the loaves. Place in the middle of the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes until golden brown. Take out of the oven and let cool down on a wire rack.
- Enjoy baking!