For all fans of bread and cheese – Party Bread with Toppings and a bubbly Oven Cheese for dipping. So good!
For the dough:
3.5 oz. (100g) milk (or oat milk).
6.3 oz. (180g) water, plus more if necessary
1/4 cup (60g) butter
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. sugar
0.25 oz. (7g) active dry yeast
17.6 oz. (500g) spelt flour (type 630)
1 large egg
For the dip/decoration:
1 large oven cheese (approx. 10 oz. / 300g)
1 large egg yolk
some milk (or oat milk)
4–5 small tomato slices
1–2 tsp. basil pesto
1–2 tsp seeds (sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, pine nuts, etc.)
fresh thyme leaves
1–2 tsp. black sesame seeds
some granulated garlic/onion
chili flakes, flaky sea salt, pepper
1. Add the milk (or oat milk), water, butter, salt, and sugar to a bowl and heat up in the microwave until the butter has melted. Let cool down to body temperature, then add the yeast and mix in. Set aside and let rest for about 10 minutes.
2. Add the flour and egg to a large bowl, add the yeast mixture and knead for about 10 minutes to get a smooth dough – add more water if the dough seems too dry. Cover the bowl with a damp kitchen towel and let the dough rest for about 30 minutes.
3. Line a baking sheet with baking parchment. Remove the cheese from the wooden box it comes in (leave cheese in the refrigerator) and then place the box in the center of the baking sheet. Set aside.
4. Place the dough on a lightly floured surface and knead again briefly. Divide into 24-26 pieces and shape each piece of dough into a ball. Place the dough balls (not too close together) around the wooden box. Cover with a kitchen towel and let rise for 30-45 minutes.
5. Preheat the oven to 390°F (200°C). Mix the egg yolk with some milk (or oat milk) and brush the risen dough balls with it. Top/decorate the dough balls with tomato slices, pesto, seeds, and thyme leaves as desired. Mix the sesame seeds with some granulated garlic/onion, chili flakes, flaky sea salt, and pepper, and sprinkle on some of the dough balls as well. Press everything down lightly. Sprinkle a little more salt and pepper on everything, if desired. Return the cheese back into the wooden box, place the baking sheet in the center of the oven, add a heatproof bowl of water to the bottom of the oven and bake for 10 minutes. Take out, cut a cross into the top of the cheese, and fold the corners out. Return the baking sheet to the oven and bake for an additional 12-14 minutes until the cheese is bubbly and the bread has a nice golden color. Remove from oven and serve hot.
Keywords: bread, party, oven cheese, dipping, toppings