- 1 pkg. Filo dough (10 sheets)
- 1/3 cup (70g) butter, melted
- 8 small red onions
- olive oil
- 1/3 cup (80ml) port wine
- 5.3 oz. (150g) beetroot, cooked and peeled
- 3 eggs
- 7 oz. (200g) heavy cream
- salt, pepper
- 7 oz. Gorgonzola or Roquefort
- fresh rosemary
- Melt the butter in the microwave and set aside. Peel the onions and cut lengthwise in half. Heat a large pan, add some olive oil and place the onions with cut surface facing down in the pan. Let them sweat over medium heat for 4-5 minutes. Be careful not to burn them. Deglaze with the port wine and then remove from the heat.
- Cut the beetroot in small cubes. Set aside. In a bowl mix eggs with heavy cream until well combined. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350˚F (180°C). Grease a 10 inch (26cm) tart tin (best with loose bottom) with some of the melted butter. Place one sheet of filo dough on top and press carefully into the tin to the bottom and sides. The edges should overlap the tin. Brush with melted butter. Repeat with remaining filo dough sheets – rotate the sheets a bit every time.
- Add the beetroot to the tart tin as well as the red onions, this time the cut surface should face upwards. Fill the egg mix into the tin – try not to pour over the onions nor cover them. Tear the Gorgonzola into small pieces and place around the onions. Cut off the overlapping filo dough sheets a bit and then press them towards the center to get a nice crust and brush with melted butter. Garnish with some fresh rosemary and bake for 30-40 minutes. Take out of the oven and let cool down 20 minutes before serving. Serve with a joghurt dip or salad and drink a glass of white wine with it :)
- Enjoy baking!
- Serving Size: 6