Delicious little sweet treat from France. Mille-feuille is one of the best things that can happen to you, so take the chance and enjoy!
For the vanilla cream
- 1 cup (240g) heavy cream
- 2.8 oz. (80g) white chocolate
- 1 tsp. vanilla paste
- 2.8 oz. (80g) mascarpone
For the puff pastry layers
- 10 oz. (300g) puff pastry (e.g. from the supermarket)
- 1–2 tsp. confectioners’ sugar for dusting
For the decoration
- 7–10 oz. (200-300g) fresh berries (e.g. blueberries, raspberries, red currant)
- 2–3 tsp. for dusting
- Start with the vanilla cream the day before by chopping the white chocolate coarsely. Add to a tall bowl and set aside. Add the heavy cream to a saucepan and bring to a boil. Take off the heat, let cool down a bit, then pour over the chocolate. Wait for 2-3 minutes, then add the vanilla paste and mascarpone and mix shortly with an immersive blender until well combined. Cover and place in the fridge for at least 12 hours over night.
- Preheat the oven to 390°F (200°C). Roll out the puff pastry dough on a floured surface (or roll out the dough if you use a pre-made dough from the supermarket). Cut the dough with a really sharp knife into squares (4.7×2.4 inches) and place them on a baking sheet lined with baking parchment. Dust with confectioners’ sugar and place a second piece of baking parchment on top, then top with a second baking sheet (I used a cookie sheet) to prevent the dough from rising. Reduce the heat of the oven to 350°F (180°C) and bake for 18-20 minutes until golden brown. Take out of the oven and let cool down on a cooling rack. Repeat with the remaining dough.
- Take the vanilla cream out of the fridge and beat with medium speed of a handheld mixer until stiff peaks form. Don’t go too fast or the cream might turn into a mess. Fill the cream into a piping bag with round tip.
- To assemble the mille-feuille, place a puff pastry piece on a plate, dust with some confectioners’ sugar and top with drops of vanilla cream and berries. Top with a second puff pastry layer and repeat. Add a third layer of puff pastry, confectioners’ sugar and finish with cream and berries.
- Enjoy baking!