The perfect sweet treat for mermaid fans: Mermaid Cupcakes!
For the decoration
- about 7 oz. (200g) candy melts (blue)
- silicone mold for mermaid tails
- glitter or rainbow dust and a brush
- mixed sprinkles (blue, green, pink)
For the dough
- 1 1/4 cups (250g) sugar
- 2 medium eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3 tbsp. melted butter
- 3 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 2/3 cup (160ml) milk
- 1 1/2 cups (200g) all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- food coloring (blue, green and pink)
For the buttercream
- 3/4 cup (170g) butter, softened
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cups (290g) confectioners’ sugar
- 1–2 tbsp. heavy cream
- food coloring (blue/turquoise)
- Start with the decorations by melting about 1/6 of the candy melts in a bowl over a pot with simmering water or in the microwave. If you have only two molds, you have to repeat this 6 times, so don’t clean up immediately. Fill the melted chocolate into the mermaid tail mold and place in the fridge for about 15-20 minutes. When firm, remove very carefully and repeat with the remaining candy melts until you have 12 mermaid tails. Dust/color the firm mermaid tails with glitter, rainbow dust or similar so they get a nice shine. Set aside until needed (you can do that 1-2 days in advance).
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C). Line a muffin tin with 12 paper liners and set aside. Melt the butter and let cool down again.
- Add the sugar and eggs to a large bowl and mix on high speed until light and creamy. Add vanilla extract, melted butter, and oil and mix in well. Add the milk and mix in. Mix the flour with baking powder and salt, add to the bowl and mix until combined. Fill half of the batter into two separate bowls and color one green and one pink. Color the large portion of batter blue. I recommend to add a good amount of food color to the batters, you want bright and vibrant colors! Divide the blue batter between the paper liners, then add the green batter on top and finish with the pink one. Bake for 20-24 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Take out of the oven and let cool down completely on a wire rack.
- For the buttercream add the butter to a large bowl and mix until light and fluffy for about 5-6 minutes. Add the vanilla extract and mix in. Add the confectioners’ sugar and mix slowly first, then on high speed for about 6-7 minutes until you get a nice and smooth buttercream. If the cream is too thick, add some heavy cream and mix in. Divide the batter into two batches and color one blue and the other one with turquoise food color. Fill the blue cream into a piping bag with large round tip and the other one into a piping bag with a star tip. Set aside.
- Add a large blob of blue buttercream on each cupcake and sprinkle with the mixed sprinkles. Add a swirl of turquoise buttercream on top and finish with a mermaid tail. Add some more glitter if you like.
- Enjoy baking!