A simple and easy-to-prepare stew from Spain: Lentejas with Chorizo. A tasty dish not only for the colder months of the year ;)
7 oz. (200g) pardina lentils (dried)
34 fl. oz. (1l) water (plus more if needed)
4–5 garlic cloves, sliced & chopped
1 large onion, sliced & chopped
some olive oil for frying
4.4 oz. (125g) bacon, chopped
2 medium carrots, finely chopped
1 green bell pepper, finely chopped
1 large tomato, peeled & chopped
2–3 medium potatoes, peeled & diced
1 bay leaf
1/2 tsp. smoked paprika powder
some oil for frying
several grill chorizos
some fresh cilantro, chopped (optional)
some red balsamic vinegar (optional)
1. Peel the garlic and cut two of them into slices and chop the rest finely – set the chopped garlic aside. Peel the onion, cut half of it into slices and chop the rest finely – set the chopped onion aside as well. Rinse the lentils and add them together with water, the sliced garlic, and sliced onion to a large pot. Bring the water to a boil, then reduce the heat, cover the pot and let the lentils simmer for about 20 minutes – the lentils should be cooked but not broken or mushy. Drain (save the cooking water!) and set aside.
2. While the lentils are cooking prepare the rest of the ingredients. Peel and chop the carrots very finely. Clean the bell pepper, remove the seeds and chop very finely as well. Peel the tomato (if you blanch it first the tomato is easier to peel), remove the liquid insides (seeds) and cut the rest into small pieces. Peel the potatoes and cut them into bite-size pieces. Set everything aside.
3. Heat up a large pot (can be the same pot you used for the lentils) with some olive oil. Add the chopped bacon and cook for about 2-3 minutes until nicely browned and crispy. Add the chopped onion and cook with the bacon for another 2-3 minutes until soft and glossy. Add the chopped garlic, carrots, bell pepper, and tomato and mix well to combine. While stirring often let cook for about 5-6 minutes over medium heat so the veggies can soften a bit. If the lentil cooking water you saved is less than 34 fl. oz. (1l) add some additional water to get the needed amount and then add together with the cooked lentils to the pot. Add the potatoes, bay leaf, and smoked paprika powder, and season well with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and let simmer for about 20-25 minutes.
4. While the stew is cooking heat up a pan with some oil and fry the chorizo until nicely browned all around and cooked through. Add the sausages to the stew for the last 5 minutes.
5. Remove the bay leaf, season with some more salt and pepper if needed, and serve with some chopped cilantro and balsamic vinegar (optional).
Keywords: lentils, stew, chorizo