A simple and easy dish you can prepare quite quickly: Easy Kimchi Fried Rice with an Egg Sunny Side Up. One of my favorite quick meals.
some vegetable oil for frying
1 red onion, finely diced
2 garlic cloves, finely diced
1 small piece of ginger, grated
3.5 oz. (100g) shiitake or brown mushrooms, thinly sliced
1 carrot, peeled & julienned
1 small can (5.6 oz./160g) kimchi*
3 tbsp. soy sauce
1 tbsp. Gochujang* (Korean red pepper paste)
1 tbsp. sesame oil
12.3 oz. (350) cooked rice
2 medium eggs, fried
1 spring onion, in rings
some black sesame seeds
1. Cook your rice according to the instructions on the package. You can use freshly cooked rice or one-day-old cooked rice – you need about 12.3 oz. (350g) of cooked rice.
2. Peel and dice the onion and garlic finely. Peel the ginger and grate. Clean the mushrooms and cut them into thin slices. Peel the carrot, cut into 2.4 inches (6cm) long pieces, cut them into thin slices, and these slices into very thin sticks (julienne strips). Remove the kimchi from the can, save the liquid for later and cut the kimchi into bite-size pieces.
3. Heat up some vegetable oil in a large frying pan. Add the onion and sauté until soft and glossy. Add the diced garlic and grated ginger and sauté as well for a minute or two. Add the sliced mushrooms, the julienned carrot, and kimchi. Let cook over medium-high heat until the mushrooms and carrots are soft – about 3-4 minutes.
4. Add the soy sauce, red pepper paste, sesame oil, and the liquid from the kimchi can and mix well to combine. Add the cooked rice and mix it with everything. Cook/Fry for another 3-4 Minutes.
5. Heat up a second pan, add some oil and fry two eggs sunny side up.
6. Divide the fried rice between two bowls, add the fried eggs on top and sprinkle with some spring onion rings and black sesame seeds. Serve immediately.
Keywords: Kimchi, fried rice, eggs, dinner, lunch, quick