- 1 3/4 cups (225g) all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups (300g) sugar
- 3/4 cup (90g) cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup (240gml) buttermilk
- 1/2 cup (115g) butter, melted
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup (240ml) hot coffee
- Dark Chocolate Frosting
- Preheat the oven to 350˚F (175°C). Grease two 8 inch (20cm) springform tins and dust with flour. Set aside.
- In a large bowl mix flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda and salt until combined. Add eggs, buttermilk, melted butter and vanilla extract. Mix until well combined and smooth. Add hot coffee and mix on low speed until combined. The batter will be pretty liquid.
- Divide batter between the springform tins and bake in the middle of the oven for about 35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Take out of the oven and place on a wire rack. Let cool in the tin for about 10 minutes and then remove from the tins and let cool completely on the wire rack.
- Place one cake layer on a serving plate, add some of the chocolate frosting on top and spread with a spatula. Place the second cake layer on top and press a bit into the frosting. Frost the cake with the remaining chocolate frosting. The cake can be stored in the fridge up to two days.
- Enjoy baking!
- Serving Size: 12