Delicious Hi-Hat Chocolate Cupcakes with Espresso, Amarena Cherry Filling and a huge amount of Marshmallow Frosting on top.
For the cupcakes:
2/3 cup (150g) butter
2/3 cup (150g) brown sugar
2 large eggs
3.5 oz. (100g) semi-sweet chocolate, melted
1 cup (130g) all-purpose flour
2 tbsp. cocoa powder
1 tsp. instant espresso powder
1 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
3 tbsp. milk
For the filling:
1 glass of Amarena Cherries
For the marshmallow frosting:
8 egg whites
2 cups (400g) sugar
several drops of lemon juice
For the glaze:
12.3 oz. (350g) semi-sweet chocolate, melted
1/4 cup (60ml) vegetable oil
1. Preheat the oven to 390°F (200°C). Line a muffin tin with 12 paper liners and set aside. Melt the chocolate for the dough and set aside.
2. Add the butter and sugar to a large bowl and mix until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one after another and mix in well after each addition. Add the melted and cooled chocolate and mix in. Mix the flour with cocoa, espressp powder, baking powder and salt in a smaller bowl and then add together with the milk to the large bowl and mix until just combined. Fill the batter into the prepared paper liners and bake for 16-18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Take out of the oven and let cool down completely.
3. Add the egg whites, sugar and lemon juice for the marshmallow frosting into a large heatproof bowl and place on a pot with simmering water (the bowl should not touch the water). Mix until the egg whites reach a temperature of 160°F (71°C) and the sugar has dissolved completely – that takes about 5-6 minutes. Take off the heat and mix on high speed with your food processor or handheld mixer for about 5-6 minutes until the mixture is very thick and glossy. The bowl should have cooled down by now. Fill into a piping bag with a large round tip.
4. Use a cupcake corer or sharp knife to cut a hole into each cupcake and fill with the amarena cherries and syrup from the glass. Pipe a good amount of frosting on each cupcake and place in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
5. While the cupcakes are cooling down, melt the chocolate for the coating and mix with the oil. Let cool down again (around 100°F/38°C). Dip the cooled cupcakes into the cooled chocolate so the frosting is covered completely, then place on a wire rack and let the chocolate harden. Serve.
Keywords: cupcakes, chocolate, Amarena, cherry, hi-hat, meringue