For the Cupcakes
- 2/3 cup (150ml) milk, lukewarm
- 0.74 oz. (21g) fresh yeast
- 1/2 tsp. sugar
- 2 cups (250g) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 0.7 oz. (20g) butter, at room temperature
- coarse salt
- 70 fl. oz. (2l) water
- 5 tbsp. baking soda
For the cheese topping
- 7 oz. (200g) camembert
- 3.5 oz. (100g) cream cheese
- 1/2 onion
- 1/4 red or yellow bell pepper, chopped finely
- 1–2 tbsp. chopped walnuts
- 1–2 tsp. chopped dried cranberries
- caraway sereds
- salt, pepper, sweet paprika powder
- Crumble the yeast in small pieces and mix with the lukewarm milk and sugar until dissolved. Let rise in a warm place for about 15 minutes.
- In a large bowl mix flour, salt, butter and yeast milk. Knead until you get a nice smooth dough – for about 10 minutes. Cover with a kitchen towel and let rise in a warm place for about 30 minutes – the dough should double in size.
- Place the dough on a slightly floured surface and knead once more. Divide in 10 equal pieces and form small balls. Place with enough space inbetween on a wooden board and place in the fridge for about 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (210°C). Grease a muffin tin and set aside. Bring about 70 fl. oz. (2l) water to a boil in a large pot (the water should be high enough so the dough balls can float without touching the bottom). Add the baking soda and let dissolve. Caution: The baking soda will foam up a lot! Let the dough balls cook for 30 seconds – place only 1-2 in the water at the same time. The top of the balls that will be on top as well while baking should be facing the bottom now. Take out the balls, let drain and place in the prepared muffin tin. With a sharp knife cut a cross into the surface of the dough balls and sprinkle with coarse salt. Let bake in the oven for 18-20 minutes. The surface should be brown. Take out of the oven and let cool a bit. Take carefully out of the tin and let cool down completely on a wire rack.
- For the cheese topping cut the onion in small pices. In a bowl mash the camembert with a fork and mix with cream cheese and the onion cubes. Divide this mix into three equal parts and mix one part with chopped red/yellow bell pepper – season with salt and pepper. Mix another part of the cheese mix with chopped walnuts and cranberries – season as well with salt and pepper. For the third part of the cheese mix add some sweet paprika powder and caraway seeds and mix until combined.
- Place the bread balls in paper liners and decorate with the cheese topping – you can also serve the bread balls and cheese topping separately so everybody can add it on their own.
- Enjoy baking!