For the filling
- 60 oz. (1.7kg) apples (e.g. Granny Smith)
- 4 tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 1/4 cup (125g) sugar
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup (35g) cornstarch
- 5 tbsp. apple juice
For the crust and streusel
- 3/4 cup (100g) chopped walnuts
- 2 1/2 cups (325g) all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup (150g) sugar
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 egg yolk
- 3/4 cup (175g) cold butter
- 2 tbsp. breadcrumbs
- Peel the apples, quarter, vore and cut into small pieces. Add to a sauce pan with 3 cups of water, the lemon juice, sugar and vanilla extract and bring to a boil. Let the apples simmer for about 3-5 minutes, depending on the kind of apples you have chosen.
- Mix the starch with the apple juice to a smooth mixture. Drain the apples, keep the liquid. Take about 1 3/4 cups of the liquid and put it back in the sauce pan. Bring to a boil and stir in the cornstarch mix. Let boil for a moment so it can thicken. Add the apples and mix all well. Set aside and let cool for about an hour.
- For the streusel chop the walnuts. In a large bowl mix flour, salt, sugar, egg yolk and the butter in small pieces. Mix with the food processor first and then with your hands until you get nice streusel. Add the walnuts and mix.
- Preheat the oven to 390˚F (200°C). Grease a pie dish (9.5 inch) and dust with sugar. Fill in 2/3 of the streusel and press to the bottom and the sides to form a pie crust. Sprinkle with breadcrumbs. Add the apples, smooth out the surface and sprinkle with the remaining streusel. Bake in the oven for 55-60 minutes. If the streusel get too dark, cover with some aluminum foil and continue baking. When done take out of the oven and let cool down completely on a cooling rack.
- Enjoy baking!
- Serving Size: 12